cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Returned Item in Worse Condition Than When Sold and Missing Bundled Piece

Seeking advice on my dilemma with a return request:

I sold a used, but in good condition, motorcycle part.  The buyer later requested to return the item. Their reason was they, "Ordered by mistake" and included a comment stating they, "accidently sent an offer on the wrong item."  My return policy states that I do not accept returns; however, at the suggestion of eBay, I did ultimately accept the buyer's return request. 

The item was returned to me in worse condition than when I sent it out. The part has additional blemishes and surface rust that was not present at the time of sale. This can be verified by making a comparison to the pictures from the item listing. In addition, my listing for the item included mounting hardware and a tool to adjust the part. The adjustment tool was not in the package when returned.

Should I provide a partial or full refund or none at all? Is there a chance I shot myself in the foot by agreeing to accept their return request and by doing so am I obligated, in some capacity, to give a refund? Do I have a legitimate reason to not give the buyer a refund based on the condition of the returned item? 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer Returned Item in Worse Condition Than When Sold and Missing Bundled Piece

@brday-90 

Sorry, you'll have to refund the buyer or Ebay will from your account.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: Buyer Returned Item in Worse Condition Than When Sold and Missing Bundled Piece

Re: Should I provide a partial or full refund or none at all? Is there a chance I shot myself in the foot by agreeing to accept their return request and by doing so am I obligated, in some capacity, to give a refund? Do I have a legitimate reason to not give the buyer a refund based on the condition of the returned item? 

I would send buyer a polite message asking him for the missing tool as this would be required for future sale of this part. In my experience there is no point in mentioning " condition of return" as buyer would refute this and may result in an argument.

As tou have received the part then you have no reason NOT to give a refund and this can be partial or full. It is worth remembering that if you do not issue a refund then buyer can claim (Chargeback)through his bank or credit card issuer citing reason Refund not received and this would result in a full refund to buyer and possible additional charges to you for the chargeback.

Top rated sellers can deduct upto 50% of original sale price and again please consider the fact that your buyer is not going to like this and ar argument may take place.

eBay in my opinion gave you sound advice as buyer could have opened a return citing reason like Not as described or defective and in that case you would have no choice other than to accept the return and pay return postage.

I would block and report the buyer and move on.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@brday-90 

Follow the eBay guidelines for a partial refund if you think it is appropriate and you qualify. eBay will deal with any buyer issues and protect you from related negative feedback.

If you refuse an accepted refund, eBay will most likely force a refund and give you a defect (for eBay having to step in).

Seller protections | eBay

• You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
  • We will take care of any issues directly with the buyer for you, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It's probably the buyers old and non functional part, not uncommon. Not much you can do unless you want to file legal cases or are a top rated seller, unfortunately.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I had sold a blue Kamar devil on eBay and my buyer demanded after having it for a week for a return and claiming it has manufactures defect that wasn’t there when I had it. So I allowed the return and I went to eBay and sent eBay with case number of a picture of the left side of the head showing that it didn’t have any marks on the left side of the head like she has in pictures she sent to eBay which they are currently looking into. Which eBay will see two different looking pictures one without marks and another with marks, but not sure what they will decide on. But I have read up that they usually side with the buyer so I’m thinking of charging her a restocking fee and for damages cause I have read that I can do a parshall refund when I get the item in the mail. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

“But I have read up that they usually side with the buyer so I’m thinking of charging her a restocking fee and for damages…”

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/My-eBay-psycho-buyer-sent-me-a-letter-I-have-to-sign-for/td-p/...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: