cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Return.

I sold a vintage ceramic tissue box cover. The buyer returned...saying it didn't match their decor. 

It is smashed into many pieces. How do I handle this? Do I still have to give the buyer a full refund, and file a claim?

How does this work exactly?  I wish I had not sold it this way.   

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Broken Return.

No you have to report first. This is my method:

I report the buyer through the transaction using the report buyer link. That goes to eBay and buyer doesn't see it so you can be more direct/blunt with your comments about what the buyer did wrong.

Then after that, go to the return. To access the partial refund option you have to report through the returns flow. Check off the box that says there was a problem and you will have to fill out comments. The buyer will see these comments. So be careful in how you word it. When you do that you will see the option to deduct a percent through returns flow.

I think most sellers report through the returns flow exclusively which is fine. I prefer my method because I can limit what the buyer sees. 😉

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

If they said not as described/doesn't match the listing  and you were charged for the return label you must refund in full.

If they returned it because they didn't  like it or no longer wanted it because it didn't match and they paid for the return then if it arrives in worse condition you can deduct 50% from their refund.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You do not have to give a full refund @tweetystwades if the buyer did not pack it properly for return shipping. Did the buyer use the same packing materials you did for outbound shipping or did they use different / less protective materials?

You are a Top Rated Seller offering 30 day returns. If the buyer returns an item in an altered condition you can report the buyer and withhold up to 50% of the refund.

So I guess this comes down to whether buyer used your original packaging and that being insufficient, or if the buyer used less / different packaging and that caused the issue.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

They paid shipping, they said they didn't like it and it didn't match their decor.

sorry, I've never had this happen like this. 50%? Is that total charged before fees, what about bad feed back for only giving 50% refund.  Can they blame the shipping vendor.    

Now...do I file a claim with the shipping vendor?    

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

If they said not as described/doesn't match the listing  and you were charged for the return label you must refund in full.

If they returned it because they didn't  like it or no longer wanted it because it didn't match and they paid for the return then if it arrives in worse condition you can deduct 50% from their refund.

Not sure why you think a not as described claim is different - it's not. Sellers can deduct in that situation if damage was caused by buyer.

GLORIOUS!

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

They paid return shipping, I shipped for free.   

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Buyer included my original packing, but did not use it to protect the item.     

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

Buyer included my original packing, but did not use it to protect the item.     

OK. In that case, report the buyer for returning the item in a different condition and deduct 50% since the item is destroyed. With seller protections any neg FB will be auto-scrubbed (I think they do it once a week?)

As far as a carrier claim, if buyer used an eBay-generated return label, they do not include insurance coverage so buyer cannot file a claim with the carrier.

Buyer can appeal the partial refund with eBay (I believe they have 10 days) and eBay may choose to give them the balance as a courtesy (from eBay funds), or they may deny the appeal.

Just be specific in your report that the buyer did not use bubble and packing materials to protect the item on return shipping. That packaging was insufficient on the buyer's part and different from how you originally shipped it which is what caused the damage.

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Do I give them the partial refund first, and then report them. Once I issue the 50% refund can I still report them? 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

No you have to report first. This is my method:

I report the buyer through the transaction using the report buyer link. That goes to eBay and buyer doesn't see it so you can be more direct/blunt with your comments about what the buyer did wrong.

Then after that, go to the return. To access the partial refund option you have to report through the returns flow. Check off the box that says there was a problem and you will have to fill out comments. The buyer will see these comments. So be careful in how you word it. When you do that you will see the option to deduct a percent through returns flow.

I think most sellers report through the returns flow exclusively which is fine. I prefer my method because I can limit what the buyer sees. 😉

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thank you so much, I appreciate the help.  I have returns, but have been lucky I guess. Nothing like this before. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Just saw a great commercial about 'those becoming their parents'.

One of them is 'this is my cover for tissue' and the 'trainer' says "tissue already comes in a box, nobody needs that'. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

If the a buyer uses a return label that does provide a way for them to make an insurance claim; how exactly is that beneficial to the seller? I don't imagine many buyers are going to participate in a claim for a seller who only gives them a 50% refund.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: