cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask Ebay to Step In Function for returns and refunds a joke?

This is hilariously pathetic in my opinion...
Quick synopsis: I sold an item, shipped the item, tracking was updating but eventually froze with a note of "running behind" by usps, has not changed for weeks so rightfully so, the buyer opened a case. 
We were messaging and I agreed with the buyer but planned to call a personal contact I have at USPS to see if he could locate the item or knew what was happening but before I could I got really sick and unfortunately went dark on the situation until I recovered after the buyer (rightfully so) asked ebay to step in, make a decision, to which they did. Below are screenshots of the tracking (the same today as it was when the buyer opened the case) and the messages I received from ebay with timestamps to show how a decision was reached....in record time. 

Please tell me if I'm wrong in assuming it is obvious what happened with the shipment and who is responsible for the item not received? I, the seller, as you will see was the one punished and revoked of the funds. I know I will get it fixed but wow what a pathetic excuse for customer support helping to resolve a case where a buyer doesn't receive an item. How the heck can I update the shipping details if the shipping details are accurate and show the item as MIA? 
Step1.pngStep2.pngStep 3 - Decision from ebay.pngFinal Step.png

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Ask Ebay to Step In Function for returns and refunds a joke?

i don't see the problem, it worked like it was supposed to.

When an INR is filed, seller only has a couple days to provide tracking showing the item was delivered or the buyer can ask Ebay to step in for a refund.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

it use to be if it was behind and there was no movement for 7 days they can get a refund.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yep, buyer didn't receive their item, opened a case. Tracking doesn't show delivery, buyer asked eBay to step in. Buyer gets a refund out of sellers funds along with that seller gets a defect on INR service metric and a defect for cases closed without a seller resolution since eBay was asked to step in. 
If I was in that situation I would have just refunded the buyer and filed an insurance claim with USPS for lost package.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I have been through similar situation. ebay has chosen a buyer centric model. The fact that ebay establishes the delivery window apparently doesn't matter to them. Item will eventually shake out of being lost & be delivered as well.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@pokeplay44 wrote:

I know I will get it fixed but wow what a pathetic excuse for customer support helping to resolve a case where a buyer doesn't receive an item. 

The only fix was the one you bailed on.

You didn't respond and ebay took care of the customer because you didn't.

Now pretty much the only things you can do is wait for it to arrive and then appeal or find out where it is and get it returned to you.

INR cases are handled by bots. If tracking doesn't show delivery or attemted delivery it is always and most quickly found in the buyers favor without a human ever seeing it.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have quite a few "running behind" since March 2023. LOL. But my buyers were honest and left positive feedback.

If item doesn't say "delivered"...it's not delivered.

It depends if you shipped it a certain way through eBay if you have eBay refunds buyer instead of you.

It's really hard to say it's missing when tracking has not been closed.

I questioned clerks at my post office...unless it is insured or Priority there is no refund from USPS.

Item might never had gotten scanned as "delivered"....but buyer received it.

I never had an item lost in USPS last year or this year.

Would I block buyer from future purchases?

I actually look at some of my tracking of items and discovered quite a few say "running late".

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: