cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, December 8 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

jasmen@ebay 

Ebay needs to be active on their own policies for sellers who just steal other sellers photographs and plagiarize their listings. Par to the Ebay VERO:

"Image and text
Using someone else's image or description without permission could violate copyright laws. If you use text or an image that was created by someone else be sure that you have permission to use the text or image.
Examples
• Images or text copied from other websites or internet searches.
• Stock photos and text used without permission.
• Scans or text copied from catalogs or advertisements.”

There is a seller who took my photos and description to the exact word, I told them to remove my photos and they replied “…I also do not do the photos on my listings someone else does that. She got the photos from a particular site outside of ebay which anyone who is a seller can easily copy and post on their seller site…” that seller has still not removed my intellectual property, report it to ebay, ebay said their listing would most definitely be taken down, yet ebay does nothing of the sort. It also clearly shows my listing was made 22 days before the other sellers and has had more sales. Still there is no excuse or justifiable reason for ebay to allow such practices. Not only is it theft and plagiarism but it’s unprofessional and deceiving to buyers, posing as another tried and trusted seller and in many many cases these sellers don’t even have the product they are drop shippers and violate ebays drop shipping policy.

Now, I am all for competition, when it’s fair, this however isn’t fair and like I said ebay has policy on this but doesn’t seem to uphold any of it. Other sites I sell on do, what’s ebay excuse for not? This has been an ongoing issue, and if ebay will not enforce their own policies then sellers – like me – will start using watermarks on our images despite ebay saying it’s against policy better then having our hard work, time, reputation, and intellectual property stolen while ebay turns the other cheek and ignores it.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 2 of 71
latest reply

How can I get a list of keywords that ebay uses to delete listings under the prohibited firearms category.  IE, I called customer service and they mentioned their is a list of "Words" that ebay uses to scan listing for prohibited items, and they could not provide that to me. 

This would be very helpful when we are creating listings, and if we had this it would eliminate calls / messages to CS on why we cannot list items

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 3 of 71
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

Ebay needs to be active on their own policies for sellers who just steal other sellers photographs and plagiarize their listings. Par to the Ebay VERO:

"Image and text
Using someone else's image or description without permission could violate copyright laws. If you use text or an image that was created by someone else be sure that you have permission to use the text or image.
Examples

There is a seller who took my photos and description to the exact word, I told them to remove my photos and they replied “…I also do not do the photos on my listings someone else does that. She got the photos from a particular site outside of ebay which anyone who is a seller can easily copy and post on their seller site…” that seller has still not removed my intellectual property, report it to ebay, ebay said their listing would most definitely be taken down, yet ebay does nothing of the sort. It also clearly shows my listing was made 22 days before the other sellers and has had more sales. Still there is no excuse or justifiable reason for ebay to allow such practices. Not only is it theft and plagiarism but it’s unprofessional and deceiving to buyers, posing as another tried and trusted seller and in many many cases these sellers don’t even have the product they are drop shippers and violate ebays drop shipping policy.

Now, I am all for competition, when it’s fair, this however isn’t fair and like I said ebay has policy on this but doesn’t seem to uphold any of it. Other sites I sell on do, what’s ebay excuse for not? This has been an ongoing issue, and if ebay will not enforce their own policies then sellers – like me – will start using watermarks on our images despite ebay saying it’s against policy better then having our hard work, time, reputation, and intellectual property stolen while ebay turns the other cheek and ignores it.

Hey @nuclearomen sorry to hear they are still using your photos. When it comes to VERO there are specific documents they may need before taking any action. It sounds like you're already working with them but you'll want to reach out to VERO@eBay.com to get any updates on this. Thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 4 of 71
latest reply

We have what I believe to be a good discussion on a board that not everyone can post to, but they can read it.  The Ask a Mentor Board.

IMHO the OP of the thread came and asked a very curious question.  One I personally have never heard of Ebay doing before, so I find it to be a very interesting conversation.

I make no claim as to knowing what is right or wrong.  I too am in search of facts and information to add clarity to this subject as Ebay is NOT being forthcoming on this yet.

So what does everyone think about this????

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/TIN-Letter-saying-eBay-will-withhold-24-is-this-scam/m-p/...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 71
latest reply

@michigan_tactical wrote:

How can I get a list of keywords that ebay uses to delete listings under the prohibited firearms category.  IE, I called customer service and they mentioned their is a list of "Words" that ebay uses to scan listing for prohibited items, and they could not provide that to me. 

This would be very helpful when we are creating listings, and if we had this it would eliminate calls / messages to CS on why we cannot list items

Hi @michigan_tactical - I can't provide you a list of keywords that are used to scan for listing violations (others could use it to intentionally circumvent blocks or filters), but I can refer you back to the Help Pages I mentioned last week (link here).

I also want to make sure it's clear that automated keyword searches are not the only way we review listings for restricted or prohibited items - we review listings manually for violations as well. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 71
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

"Image and text
Examples

Hey @nuclearomen sorry to hear they are still using your photos. When it comes to VERO there are specific documents they may need before taking any action. It sounds like you're already working with them but you'll want to reach out to VERO@eBay.com to get any updates on this. Thanks! 

jasmen@ebay I've heard nothing from "vero(@)ebay" same with countless others who have posted on this issue 

-----

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 7 of 71
latest reply

Hello- Is there an estimate on when the item specifics will stop randomly dropping and making adjustments? I ask because I have all categories filled out, including suggested only. Yet every few days something gets "dropped" that was previously entered by me. Then I can see it gets noted as missing info. I make the changes then a few days later "poof" it goes away. 

I understood that there was a period of adjustments but it's been weeks now and still this continues in the doll and doll clothing categories. Thank you. 

-----

Message 8 of 71
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

We have what I believe to be a good discussion on a board that not everyone can post to, but they can read it.  The Ask a Mentor Board.

IMHO the OP of the thread came and asked a very curious question.  One I personally have never heard of Ebay doing before, so I find it to be a very interesting conversation.

I make no claim as to knowing what is right or wrong.  I too am in search of facts and information to add clarity to this subject as Ebay is NOT being forthcoming on this yet.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/TIN-Letter-saying-eBay-will-withhold-24-is-this-scam/m-p/...

@mam98031  just to add on to that, there's also this thread on the same subject that is open for replies.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Seller-Hub-IRS-Tax-Identification-Number-TIN-error-Anyone... 

Message 9 of 71
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031  just to add on to that, there's also this thread on the same subject that is open for replies.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Seller-Hub-IRS-Tax-Identification-Number-TIN-error-Anyone... 

THANK YOU.  I will be sure to read it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 71
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

"Image and text
Examples

jasmen@ebay I've heard nothing from "vero(@)ebay" same with countless others who have posted on this issue 

@nuclearomen like mentioned there may need to be specific documentation in order for our VERO team to take action. You'll want to work with them to see what that info is to speed up the process. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 11 of 71
latest reply

First, just want to thank the Stores Team for finally providing an easy way to highlight promotional offers (such as Markdown Manager sales) on the Stores Home page by using the new Banner feature.

Also, however, I want to point out that we still don't have the promised easy way for buyers to sign up for our store newsletter. It would be really nice to get that before the Holiday Shopping Season is completely over. 

Also, while I consider the newsletters an improvement over the old ones, can you check into whether the Team intends to add more features for the newsletters....at present, they are somewhat limited.

-----

Message 12 of 71
latest reply

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing great!

In the Jewelry & Gemstone Board Group,some people are saying that they are not allowed to post or reply to posts. Is there a glitch?

Please let me know as I have received several messages where people want to wish someone well and cannot.

TIA

-----

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 13 of 71
latest reply

Speaking of the stores team, why have they added the number of lifetime sales I've made to the Store Home page?  ebay is big on Buyer Privacy, but this seems to me something that should be optional....if a seller wants the world to know this, give him the option to include it. Please forward that suggestion to the stores team.

-----

Edit: A reply to your suggestion can be found here

Message 14 of 71
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

First, just want to thank the Stores Team for finally providing an easy way to highlight promotional offers (such as Markdown Manager sales) on the Stores Home page by using the new Banner feature.

Also, however, I want to point out that we still don't have the promised easy way for buyers to sign up for our store newsletter. It would be really nice to get that before the Holiday Shopping Season is completely over. 

Also, while I consider the newsletters an improvement over the old ones, can you check into whether the Team intends to add more features for the newsletters....at present, they are somewhat limited.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques thanks so much for your kind words, I'm glad you like it! I appreciate your feedback with the newsletter and I'm happy to get it in the right hands. Thanks so much for working with me! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 15 of 71
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: