cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is something massively wrong with search!

I tried to list a doll this morning, and, while researching comparisons, I noticed that the total items shown didn't match the total search results. It showed there were 6 results, but only 1 was shown:

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.44.02.png

I thought maybe it was a "clear your cache", etc. issue, so I did all that and got the same result. Then I tried searching from a private window, where the same search yielded accurate results. Incidentally, I had several items to list and this happened with every item I searched, so it wasn't a one-off.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.48.02.png

Another member posted here about how ad blockers are preventing promoted listings from appearing in search, and the results were accurate after I disabled AdBlock.

However, all my listings are promoted, I've used chrome with AdBlock as an extension for years, I research comps routinely, and sponsored listings have never been "hidden" like this, nor have the number of results been noticeably different from the number of listings shown.

I don't know if this is a change with AdBlock and/or chrome and/or eBay, but I do know that my sales have been down dramatically for about 2 months. I've previously accepted this fate as just part of the business, but if promoted items aren't appearing in searches for people who use ad blockers (literally everyone I know), it's safe to say that's going to affect sales.

velvet@ebay:

This certainly seems like an issue that eBay needs to address immediately, especially with the constant emphasis on promoted listings. Sales for everyone using promoted listings are being lost every single second.

Message 1 of 130
latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

Re: There is something massively wrong with search!

Your listings in Dolls with Best Match on aren't showing for me at all.

Same results for me and my listings.

Message 106 of 130
latest reply

@popblox  One known cause of this problem is due to the "lowest first" filter.   This has been posted and reported to ebay before (I'll have to find the discussion).  For some reason only the "lowest first" filter does this, and only on certain items.  The problem can exists even when searching your own store. 

I have tried experimenting (on another account), but even relisting, sell similar, or creating a new listing doesn't fix the problem.  Something must somehow be in common with the item or listing that causes it, that even creating a new listing from scratch doesn't fix, but I have not figured out specifically what it is.

Ebay was looking into this, but it has been months now with no reply that anything was done about it, and it certainly has not been fixed.  So many buyers just don't see your affected items if they are sorting by "lowest first".

Message 107 of 130
latest reply

Thank you, @rfmtm - I think eBay has finally addressed the issue. I can now see my listings when sorting by lowest price, as well as best match.

@optimus.prime, as of this morning, "Sponsored" listings are finally showing up when AB is enabled. We'll see how long it lasts 🙏

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 10.00.52.png

Message 108 of 130
latest reply

@popblox  Glad yours are showing up.  I still have about a dozen out of 200 still not viewable with "lowest first" and adblock on or off makes no differences. 

Message 109 of 130
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then the search engine is all fouled up. Period.

Message 110 of 130
latest reply

Ebay just actively breaking the whole website with no consequences.  What happened to connecting buyers and sellers with each other?  You know, the supposed purpose of Ebay.  What's the point anymore?  Is anyone getting any sales?  Is anyone finding what they want to buy?  I'm this close to shutting my whole store.  And I know: ebay doesn't care.  Why should they?  We don't matter to them.

Message 111 of 130
latest reply

I never had issues seeing my listings myself (signed out and incognito) but sales have definitely increased for me within the last few days. Coincidence? 

Message 112 of 130
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

I have been complaining about search for some time now, & It seemed like no one was listening, Hopefully they are now!, I don't care who they listen to as long as they listen, & Most of all FIX It!!

I mentioned a while back that I listed 2 identical keyboards.  One has a missing support leg and was priced $1 less.  Otherwise everything was identical in the listings.  When I searched, both came up.  I selected one different search feature, one disappeared right before my eyes in the search list.

There wasn't any response to my post here.  So, as you said, hopefully someone will notice now.

Message 113 of 130
latest reply

@optimus.prime wrote:

This exact thing happened back in 2019. My sales completely tanked out of no where. As they have again these last 2 months. I remember finding information on these forums about it being an issue with AdBlock. I ended up coming across a YouTube video from The Auction Professor. If you search Adblock ebay the auction professor a few videos will come up.

Don, the Auction Professor, has made another video about eBay's new PL rules taking effect in June.  I am wondering if the new issues with PL have something to do with ebay gearing up for that change.  I am going to end my PL choices today.

Message 114 of 130
latest reply

Hi all! It sounds like you've noticed, but I wanted to make sure you knew that a fix was implemented to help with this block and listings should be surfacing up in searches now like normal...AdBlock/AdBlockPlus or not. Thank you for the heads up! 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 115 of 130
latest reply

I find it irredeemable that I was treated as if I didn't know how to conduct a basic search by the Ebay staff instead of acknowledging this PROBLEM EXISTS!!!.  It is CLEAR that Ebay has been working on this for some time... WITHOUT EFFECT... and yet when I make the same complaint THIS WEEK... I am treated as if I am making it up.  

No one at the support staff seems "aware" of this problem... maybe you could address THAT too.

And as far as the Issue... NOT FIXED... or I wouldn't be here.

Message 116 of 130
latest reply

No it is not fixed, Adblock was only a small part of the problem.  The search filter "lowest first" is still dropping items from view, that are otherwise shown with any other filter.  

velvet@ebay Who and/or where can I send a specific simple and repeatable example to?

Message 117 of 130
latest reply

@velvet I paid for the promotions and my listing ISN'T even shown.  The only bids were from before I decided to promote it.  Not only has this messed up my auction - it has ensured that I actually LOSE money on this auction... EBAY has proven time and again that they do not care about us as users/sellers OR customers.

I want my listing reset - and removed from promotions - my fee refunded!!!

Message 118 of 130
latest reply

I believe this is still occurring (the hidden listings weirdness).  My listings are NOT promoted.  They were showing up on desktop/Chrome until (I noticed) today.  Interestingly, when I first hit Search I can actually SEE the listing come up momentarily, but then it quickly resolves the page in full and my listing is not shown in the end results.  At that point, it says there are 7 listings but is only showing a total of 4 - one being a Sponsored listing!  I tried turning off the AdBlock Plus on the eBay site and lo and behold, my listing is back to showing.  It says 7 results, and 7 unique results are listed.  Just an FYI - I always sort by Newly Listed.  So what do we do?  Just live with it?

Message 119 of 130
latest reply

The same thing. My listings not in search results. You must click few time to see your listings in Search results. 

Message 120 of 130
latest reply