cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tax bug

Today I sold 5 items to one buyer in PA. When I sent the invoice I could see the tax row. Now I can not. The buyer was furious and sent nasty emails saying I was cheating her. When I look at View Record - the tax row is blank but the total included a tax amount (which is incorrect).  I can recreate the issue but re-issuing the invoice and saving s screen shot of same. I called ebay and they said the buyer had to call ebay to get explanation of how the tax works. I kept telling them to show me how to see the invoice with the tax amount and they could not do so. They promised to escalate the issue (which means absolutely nothing as I have learned from the past).  This is going to be a very serious issue for all of us sellers soon if not fixed.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Sales tax bug

@collegefundcc. I haven't had a sale in awhile that had sales tax ... did you try the invoice from seller hub?  Last time i did combined shipping one it showed the tax %   I don't recall it showing the amount.     If that doesn't work try a packing slip.  Not sure if the sales tax will show there or not. 

You will need to use seller hub to print a packing slip that includes all price information.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/seller-hub?id=4095&st=2&pos=1&query=Seller%20Hub&int...

Once you are in seller hub go to Orders> Awaiting Shipment

1) put a check mark next to the items you want to print a packing slip for.
2) click on the shipping drop down menu and select print labels/ Invoices
3) Put a check mark in the box for print labels/ invoices
4) click continue

You can still use the All Selling page once you sign up for seller hub for other functions if you prefer it:

https://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&CurrentPage=MyeBayNextAllSelling

There is one other place on seller hub where i KNOW you can view the sales tax in a report.   Im on my cell phone and can't remember the steps.   Let me know if you need those.  I'll be on my pc in the am 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

I am sorry that I wasn't clear. There is a bug.

I am attaching 3 files. The first is the invoice as I saw it just prior to sending to the buyer.  Everything appears normal.

The second attachment is the invoice as seen by the buyer and by me in my email as I always have invoice sent to myself. You can see that the tax are missing and yet the total obviously includes tax.

The buyer emailed me accusing me of cheating. I told her it was tax, but she just screamed more.

The third attachment is the result of "View Record". no shipping, no tax, no total. Sorry so small.

I finally gave in and offered free shipping to try to show the buyer I am not cheating her.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

@collegefundcc   I can't even see the third attachment, too tiny.  FYI when adding pictures it's best to use the photos icon at the top of the screen instead of the attachment paperclip icon.  Then when the pic is clicked on it can be enlarged.  

Ebay really needs to change the layout and not remove the sales tax when showing it on the other forms, it's not a bug, sadly it's by design.  It only shows when the SELLER is collecting sales tax under the NEXUS law and not when EBAY is collecting it.  

I would have sent the buyer the screen shot of the invoice.   And a link to the buyer tax page.   

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

Also some states do collect sales tax on shipping, that's another sore point with many buyers and PA is one of them.    

sales tax.PNG

IF the buyer leaves negative feedback about the sales tax issue or thinking that they were being over charged due to this ask ebay to remove the feedback because the way it's presented to the buyer and the sellers ability to reproduce a form with the sales tax is not your fault.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

I appreciate your input and I will definitely follow your advice about feedback. Please don't think me ungrateful, but I beg to differ about the bug. I am in Ohio and only set up my tax table for Ohio. Attached is an invoice as received by me and my buyer for WA state (On the same day as the "problematic" PA buyer). This means that the NEXUS tax set up and collected by ebay does print on the the invoice for some states. As I recall WA was one of the first to implement the law so perhaps, EBAY debugged the system for WA but is still in "Beta" for later statesWA tax showing.JPG?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

Did you ask the buyer to click on the SHIPPING & PAYMENTS tab, and then click on LEARN MORE under TAXES?

If the buyer does that, s/he can scroll down to see that ebay is now collecting sales/use tax for items shipped to PA beginning July 1, 2019.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

@collegefundcc wrote:

I am sorry that I wasn't clear. There is a bug.

I am attaching 3 files. The first is the invoice as I saw it just prior to sending to the buyer.  Everything appears normal.

The second attachment is the invoice as seen by the buyer and by me in my email as I always have invoice sent to myself. You can see that the tax are missing and yet the total obviously includes tax.

The buyer emailed me accusing me of cheating. I told her it was tax, but she just screamed more.

The third attachment is the result of "View Record". no shipping, no tax, no total. Sorry so small.

I finally gave in and offered free shipping to try to show the buyer I am not cheating her.

brian@ebay Please review more issues with invoices.  The seller SHOULD NOT have had to eat the shipping because eBay programmers make these errors and eBay doesn't have an effective process for reviewing and vetting code changes.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

That chart is incorrect for California. Shipping is taxable if it is anything other than the "common carrier" shipping charge (which includes USPS). For example, if shipping is $3.22 and you are charging $4.00, the full amount is subject to sales tax. We have been in business almost 33 years and I can't recall when it was any different.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

@crescentstation wrote:
That chart is incorrect for California. Shipping is taxable if it is anything other than the "common carrier" shipping charge (which includes USPS). For example, if shipping is $3.22 and you are charging $4.00, the full amount is subject to sales tax. We have been in business almost 33 years and I can't recall when it was any different.

The internet sales tax may be different than the locally charged ones, since the laws were written later and, in some states supposedly simplified.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

This is getting much more serious. I think I've put my finger on the issue; A NY buyer purchased 2 items from me today. Sent a "Please send me my total" ebay message. I click on send invoice, lower the shipping price and click enter to let the system update the total.  The total goes down but the Tax amount stays the same (including the original higher shipping cost).  Therefore, in the invoice I see before sending (I screen captured it this time) and the emailed invoice received by buyer and me (This one does NOT show the tax amount) have the wrong total.

My point being that the bug is in the refresh program after the shipping amount is changed, the total is recalculated but the tax isn't.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

Tagging a blue about additional invoice issues.  brian@ebay tyler@ebay 

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

@dtexley3 wrote:

Tagging a blue about additional invoice issues.  brian@ebay tyler@ebay 

Thanks @dtexley3, the teams over this are aware and looking into it.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

Any update on this?

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

I am dismayed that ebay will go live tomorrow with a tax program which does not work. Here is a new example. I have attached the before and after screen shots, a) before I updated method and the shipping cost, as well as the b) after. You can see that the total updates, however the tax amount does not. This a new sale today (2 items) to NJ.

NJ 09302019 before.JPGNJ 09302019 after shipping cost change.JPG

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Sales tax bug

Well ebay is making some progress and some areas it's worse.

Attached are 3 files; a) before I updated the shipping cost, b) after I updated the shipping cost and c) the actual invoice which was emailed to the buyer.

b) tax amount is still not updating when the shipping cost is modified

c) tax amount is correct but total is Before.JPGAfter.JPGEmailed invoice.JPGincorrect.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply