cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make offer , overcharge for shipping. How are the sellers supposed to combine shipping?

The latest Ebay new thing is Auto-pay once a seller accepts your offer or " review your offer". The problem is if you make an offer on let's say 6 35mm slides, and seller accepts your offers, Ebay then charges you shipping on each item.  So an offer is $5 for each slide and the shipping for each slide is $3.69, you would be charged $30 for the slides and $22.14 shipping for a total of $52.14 . Which of course is ridiculous . It should be $33.69 with combined shipping. How is the seller supposed to combine shipping when the seller  offers combined shipping? Are they now going to have to figure out how much to refund for the excess shipping. This was poorly thought out 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Make offer , overcharge for shipping. How are the sellers supposed to combine shipping?

Seller can, and should, just 'refund' you the difference once the label is printed. Send the seller a message to confirm this is what they'll do. 

But..this is just how 'offers' work. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Make offer , overcharge for shipping. How are the sellers supposed to combine shipping?

Auto Pay linked to Best Offers is a terrible idea. I agree. It makes combined shipping more complicated for the seller; additionally, if a BUYER wants to buy more than one item of mine, their knowing that combined shipping will be a matter they'll have to bring up with the seller because of the new Auto Pay, they might not bother with buying more from my store. Lost revenue.

This Auto-Pay feature is slowing down the buying process. It's a terrible idea. I've been on eBay 17 years, and the previous method of submitting offers worked smoothly. Now, with more steps for a Buyer, they might even IGNORE listings with a Best Offer option.

Auto-Pay Best Offer submissions also FORCE a buyer to IMMEDIATELY pay for an item, even if a seller doesn't require it. I give my buyers five days to pay. Some sellers give 2-3 days. This gives a Buyer less of a sense of urgency, so maybe they'll shop more. Auto-Pay overrides that, so a customer who needs that extra time to pay doesn't have it. Auto-Pay Best Offers are violating are own store payment terms.

We could be losing sales. Losing customers. Ebay is intent on complicating their platform. I don't know why, either. If you and I are losing sales, eBay is losing money.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

One of the sellers said not to use a payment option, but can't figure out how to do that

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Really?? I probably only ever sold maybe 2 listings with combined shipping during my lifetime of selling on ebay, so to just 'refund' the difference is asinine in accordance to the Auto-pay fiasco!! What was wrong with the good ole option for a seller to allow a buyer to combine purchases for a shipping discount??!! 

WHY did ebay implement this 'voodoo' in the first place??!!

I purchased a couple of items lately with BIN and wondered why I never received ANY notification, instead of the traditional method of informing the buyer that their item was accepted before allowing them to pay. I eventually found out about this 'Auto-pay' situation to explain the missing link in the process.

Please.. informative replies/answers only. Biased comments on ebay's behalf need not apply!!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I figured it out. The SELLER has the fix. There is box they check that makes buyers pay when they make an offer. This makes sense if i were buying one item.  But on multiple items it makes no sense, again poorly thought out Ebay

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Buyer payment requirements, its under buyer management. 
When this box is checked  it forces a buyer to verify a payment method before offering. I think this then forces the payment. Hopefully this fixes the problem

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It is something the seller can control @lifeofbryan73 @loveoldcarz 

On this page: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Because its still not affecting buyers site-wide (very slow rollout of auto pay on offers), many sellers don't know this setting was added.

offerautopay.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@dillsdprib wrote:

I purchased a couple of items lately with BIN and wondered why I never received ANY notification, instead of the traditional method of informing the buyer that their item was accepted before allowing them to pay. I eventually found out about this 'Auto-pay' situation to explain the missing link in the process.

There should have been something you clicked on before submitting the offer to confirm your payment @dillsdprib. When eBay first started testing this in Oct 2021, the screen looked like this: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Auto-Pay-if-offer-is-accepted-NO-EBAY-I-wanted-combined-shipp...

The appearance may have changed since then, but it should be similar in that there's a spot showing your payment info before you submit the offer.

eBay is implementing this because unpaid items are a huge problem on the site. Sellers have been asking for auto pay on offers and auctions for years. As shown above, any sellers wanting to disable the setting on their listings have that option.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply