cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error for every Message reply: "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later."

Every time I try to reply to an eBay Message through the Messages tab on the site (chrome browser on a PC), I get the error: "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later." Every time. 

If I reply from the forwarded copy of the message in my email system's Inbox, the reply gets sent fine. (At least for the handful I tried.) But I specifically had to switch to using the Messages feature within eBay a long time ago, because I got tired of a small percentage of my replies getting lost at eBay and then getting chewed out by the customer, so I now use eBay Messages exclusively for eBay communications. (Yes, replies were lost. No error/undeliverable messages were returned to me and my replies were in my email system's Sent folder. But eBay didn't forward them to the recipient's Messages.)

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Error for every Message reply: "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later."

Same problem here. I also can't send an offer to anyone through the email system. When I am on the home page and go to messages, it tells me they are over 90 days old and so I am not allowed to respond (even though received in the last week).  When I go directly  to messages through selling page, it gives me the "try again later" message. This is a tough day on ebay for buyers and sellers. Many many things going wrong.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Re: Error for every Message reply: "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later."

I'm seeing this too.  I haven't been able to send messages all day.  It's particularly annoying because the response you just typed to a question is straight up gone.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

same problem here, can't reply to messages

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Same here. Why can't eBay just post a notice at the top of their site when issues like this happen to at least let people know they are aware of the problem and are looking into it?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I can't reply to messages also.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Only messages thru the stupid app are going thru. I hate the app. I want to use my computer, not the hard to navigate tiny app on my phone!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@community_team 

The Messages function is still broken today, when trying to reply through your website (in Chrome, on a PC).  And it's not just me, as evidenced by the responses to this thread.

Just sayin'.......

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Same issue here.  You can use the "Contact Member" link to contact the customer, but eBay limits the number of messages you can send during a day like this.  I sent around (5) and it shut me down, saying that my limit was reached.

I have calls into eBay today to fix it.  I have been promised a call back, but not sure if I trust that it will happen.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

We've used the Contact Member (or Contact Buyer, if applicable) link a few times. But you don't have the history of a conversation when you do that. Most of these are situations where we're merely trying to answer a question the member asked.  But we can't. (Not through Messages anyway.) 

Someone else mentioned an error message saying they could not contact a buyer after 90 days. We had that problem as well. A buyer sent us a question and we could answer it on day 89 but the next day, after he sent yet another message to us, we could no longer reply. That 90 day limit shouldn't mean anything if the customer contacts us FIRST eBay. It's not like we're spamming them. They asked us a question. We should be able to answer it. As it is, it looks like we're ignoring them. That reflects well on us... (sarcasm)

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

We are also unable to respond to any customer questions. Has ebay made any statement about this issue?

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I have been battling with this error too, I contacted eBay via chat and after the usual faff they eventually told me that the Tech team has a flag for this issue and it will get fixed. No indication of how long though.

I have found that I can answer all messages via the mobile app, not ideal but at least I can respond to customers so they do not think I am ignoring them.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

One problem with answering messages on the app is: we do not have the ability to check a box that sends a copy of the reply to our personal email, as we do if we answer on the site. This is problematic for us because we have more than one employee and other people need to be able to see a response to know how to treat a situation. Sure, I can tell the other employees to get in the habit of going to eBay Messages and looking in the Sent folder, but that is less than ideal. It should not be this difficult to answer messages eBay. Especially messages customers are sending us, to which we're simply trying to reply... 

The problem does (finally) seem to be fixed though. I was able to reply to two different messages on the site a few minutes ago.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I was having this problem also. Could not answer messages - got red try again message when trying to send. I finally got message out by copying my message and going to the questioners about me page using their user name and sending message through that venue. It did work. The messages are doing ok so far today.....so far..

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Same here. Been experiencing this issue on and off for months on multiple browsers on both windows and mac OS. Is now happening again today regarding a time sensitive question that a potential buyer has asked about an item.  These on-going issues are interfering with commerce when it comes to time sensitive messages and may become a serious issue regarding whether or not this platform is reliable enough and can be TRUSTED to actually be a SAFE HARBOR for contracts and commerce. Sincerely, Scorch.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply