cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unusual portrait plate

Can anyone identify this unusual portrait plate? (is illustrated on the bottom as well!); the impressed mark was difficult to photograph but appears to read "BOWLEY" (see photos!). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

unusual portrait plate

Interesting item! Possibly a plate used at the factory to test out decals? Hence the back being used. Is the black around the edge paint?

The big image looks familiar but can't place it offhand. That would be a good ID place to start. Not finding anything on that mark with a quick internet search, but it maybe in a book somewhere.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

unusual portrait plate

The man in the bottom photo looks like George Carlin.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

unusual portrait plate

Thank you poppyswag! I was thinking the same as it being a painter's test plate! (these are not decals by the way but painted images!). The black is just grime! David.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

unusual portrait plate

poppyswag; if you can ID the images please let me know! David.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

unusual portrait plate

Wow, hand painted. So maybe this was an artist that created decals? Beautiful detail.  The sepia tones might be a clue. Did artists hand paint multiples? A lot of hand work on every piece.  Maybe someone will come along who knows, Iol.

The back studies remind me a little of the figures on some of the old Royal China patterns like Colonial Homestead and Curiosity Shop.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

unusual portrait plate

There is a Bovey Pottery - England. Just saw some on ebay but no time to research further right now. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

unusual portrait plate

doesn't match any Bovey mark in Godden's books

Message 8 of 8
latest reply