cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is This Vintage Turn Vienna Chatenoy Item With Hole In Bottom?

I have a 3 piece set of hand painted porcelain.  A 6 1/4" saucer or underplate, a creamer, and something I do not know what it is.  It is 4" tall and has a hole in the bottom.  Two pieces are signed by artist, 2 are marked, and the one with the hole is signed by artist but not marked.  Would like to know what it is and also approximate age of this set please.   Thank you for help.🤔🤔😎

IMG_6060.JPGIMG_6061.JPGIMG_6066.JPGIMG_6067.JPGIMG_6070.JPGIMG_6071.JPG

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What Is This Vintage Turn Vienna Chatenoy Item With Hole In Bottom?

The cans were a uniform size that fit snugly in from the top. When the can was empty, to facilitate removing it, you would push it up and out with your finger from the bottom hole.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It's a condensed milk holder. The hole lets you push the can out.
Janet
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thank you so much for help!!  I would have NEVER thought of that & didn't know they made such a thing.  I searched on Worthpoint and 99% have a lid so I guess mine is missing the lid.  Thank you again.😃😃

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Producer was the Austrian factory of Ernst Wahliss located in the city of Turn near Teplitz in Bohmia; they used shown mark between September 1899 and 1918.

Regarding the "signature" ... it is no signature in the common sense as it has nothing to do with these items. Its the signature of the (long dead) original artist which created the oil paintings that were later used as template for the transfer sheets. Such procedure was common; the printers that created the transfer sheets of course sought out images sources that did not require the payment of royalties. The laws in Europe and the US however forced them to at least add the original signature, hence their presence on these items. Some of these artists became famous long after their demise and gave their name to whole styles - think Watteau, Fragonard or Kauf(f)mann.

Regards, Chris
( for more German porcelain IDs see: PorcelainMarksAndMore.com )
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If they are transfers, does "hand painted" just refer to the gold trim?

Janet

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Yes, the gilding and - when present - certain highlights. Many of these transfer jobs also got a workover to hide transfer borders or bad transitions.

Regards, Chris
( for more German porcelain IDs see: PorcelainMarksAndMore.com )
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

So interesting! Then there must be a sugar bowl too.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Typically these condensed milk sets consisted of (3) pieces.  It appears you have (2), the can and underplate.  There would have been a matching handled lid.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It must have been an awful small can, that looks to be a 2 inch or smaller hole. What would be the purpose of pushing the can out the hole? & how would that be accomplished  without the condensed milk falling out after pushing the can through it?
(JAT or 2)

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The cans were a uniform size that fit snugly in from the top. When the can was empty, to facilitate removing it, you would push it up and out with your finger from the bottom hole.  

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You are correct.  There was a sugar bowl but, sadly, I dropped something and it fell on the sugar bowl and broke it.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Sounds like s "hoity-toity" way of hiding the maker of the condensed milk from their guests.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply