cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick Glass Cleared with minimal effort

I posted I guess 2 years ago about sick glass. At that time, the best I could do was polish it away. But since then, I've been working on a permanent cure and I found it.

Here's how I did it:

1.   Purchased a bottle of Lime Away

2.  Found a bunch of different sized blocks (wood)

3.  Positioned the glass using the blocks so that it faced up. (image below)

4.  Filled the glass with Lime Away only to the very top of the glass.

5.  Wait for a couple of days and rotate the item making sure the Lime Away is still at the tip. If it's not, add Lime Away until it's at the top.

6.  Rotate the glass every couple of days. You may see swirl marks, those just wipe off.

7.  Check to make sure that the glass is turned every day or two and add Lime Away as needed. I did not have these results with CLR.

8.  Throw out the remaining Lime Away and wipe. If there are still areas of lime deposits, treat that area only using the same method outlined above.

Good luck!

limeremoval1.jpglimeremoval2.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Sick Glass Cleared with minimal effort

Is the glass safe to drink from after cleaning using this method?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I don't think this will work if the glass is etched, only if the sickness is from mineral deposits.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The glass is "sick" because of mineral deposits. It takes time to remove these deposits. It took days to get it

clean. Rotating and adding the Lime Away provided a positive outcome. As far as safe to drink, you need to wash

it first. Don't put it in the dishwasher if you have hard water. Clean by hand.  Calcium/Lime essentially the same

thing.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

As @janetpjohn_la, said, this will not work if the glass was etched, for example by being cleaned in a dishwasher when the glass was not dishwasher-safe.

This may work for glass that has lime/calcium buildup, which can be removed by a product like Lime Away.

It is pretty much impossible to tell the difference between glass that has been etched by a dishwasher, and glass that has a buildup of lime/calcium. Without trying to clean it like this.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply