cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping China and Crystal

Trying to auction some china, crystal,etc.  Where do I get boxes and how are these items generally padded?  Thanks

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You can purchase boxes at Walmart, Staples, etc or find used ones at dept stores. You need lots of bubble wrap and packing peanuts.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The USPS has free boxes to pick up or order. Checi local sources for free exchanges and local stores for loose fill ie peanuts. Remember boxes are sold by the inside measurement and ship by the outside so add an inch each way when calculating costs, its called dimensional weight. Set up an account with the us0s and play around calculating shipping costs.
george
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I wrap them first in plain white tissue paper (Dollar Tree) then a layer or two of substantial bubble wrap, then wrap in clean newsprint paper (buy or get end rolls from your local newspaper).

Line bottom of box with peanuts then a layer or 2 of bubble wrap before laying in items to be shipped.  Be sure you have at least an inch from box side walls but 2" is better unless you are going to double box.

Fill in any spaces with peanuts and shake box lightly so they will settle in then add more until full.  I usually add more crumpled news print to the top.

Use substantial boxes.  A lot from China are flimsy.  USPS has free Priority boxes (not flat rate) that can be ordered thru their site or when shipping on eBay.

When shipping plates, bowls or stackable item, I usually put a layer of bubble wrap and cardboard between them so they don't crush.  In shipping cups, I make a little triangular 'house' from food boxes to protect the handles before wrapping.

Good luck.

Patd

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Also, despite your best efforts, things still sometimes break. So, if it’s more than $50 (the amount that the USPS automatically covers), I recommend insuring it.

Sarah aka "sgpsells"

Photobucket

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I've shipped tons of glass/crystal and all I wanted to offer is the post office requires at least 2" of padding around the item.  I generally double-box when packing fragile items. I use plastic bags from grocery stores and fill those with Styrofoam peanuts.  Then I tie the bags closed.  I find that I can use these in difficult areas, corners and to make the insulation/padding surround the piece.  You're going for no movement inside the sealed box.  I use air bags, bubble wrap and newspaper/newsprint to further pad items in the outer box to prevent one box from contacting the other.

I've been very fortunate thus far that no glass, crystal or delicate items I've shipped have ever broken; I wish I could say the same about glass I've purchased from not as savvy sellers.  

Try to pack so that the buyer will receive it as if you were the recipient.  If you're satisfied that it's not going to move, it should be good to go.

Lisa

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Good practice...and I am serious...would be to pack an item from your cupboard in a manner that you think is secure. Open your front door and loft it onto your sidewalk. Did it survive. Do over.

Radine

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Your safest bet is to wrap in layers.  No huge bubble wrap.

Wrap once and seal.  Wrap again and seal then pad with a lot of packing peanuts-Biodegradable are preferred.  They are pretty cheap at Staples.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@olful 

1. For each piece you want to ship take the L x W x H then add 3" all around for additional packaging to keep the safe in shipment

2. Google "shipping boxes" and purchase some that are close in size to the dimensions you came up with in item 1.

3. Stop at an appliance store on a Monday and ask them politely if they might have some styrofoam they would be willing to part with ...most places will give it to you for free ... around here they simply have the trash man pick it up and take it to the local container company that makes styrofoam cups and plates out of it.  It can be cut to size to help protect things with a small saw.

4. Buy some rolls of bubble wrap

5. You will need a tape dispenser too and rolls of tape.

6.  I would generally wrap the pice in bubble wrap then line the inside of the box with styrofoam then stuff thin paper (thin like a telephone book page) in and around to fill gaps.

STYRAFOAM 2.jpg

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I buy thin foam on eBay.  I wrap once in a couple layers of foam and seal.  Well, I seal with pull tags so the tape comes right off in one piece.

The I do the same in bubble wrap.

Things to remember.  Edges are the most likely to break, so you need to wrap edges, handles and anything that stands out from the item first.  Then wrap the whole piece over that.  Layers are good, but pack is you are expecting a hurricane to deliver it.  If you are not sure that's good enough-add more packing.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Why google? You can buy almost any size box right here on eBay.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

How many pieces? What is the weight? What service are you planning on using? remember that insurance has a limit on how high each box can be insured for - check it out before listing so you will have a better understanding of what you are up against.

Use separate boxes for more than a few pieces to prevent the items from clanking together especially if heavy - remember both you and the buyer will have to lift these boxes, along with many others in-between the two of you. Recommend to keep weight below 50 pounds per box - that is weighing them after wrapping and packing - as already explained.

Me? I'd just make it a local pick up - no shipping involved if more than 5 or 6 pieces - no risk of breaking that way.  After they pick it up - any breakage is the buyer's issue then.  Remember if it breaks in the mail - it is your loss as you will have to refund, including the shipping charge.  A 'no return' policy does not mean 'no refund'.  This will not protect you if it breaks by mailing them.

If determined to ship, I'd recommend a dish pack or a dish barrel specially made to ship china - like from a large moving company (Mayflower, Global, etc. ) or even from U-Haul.  Especially if particularly fragile or expensive.  There is probably a video on YouTube.  Any effort to ship will be time intensive and cost major bucks to to it right.  Be prepared. 

Good luck.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Perhaps I missed this in the previous posts, but you should research the new USPS / DIMS rates and make yourself aware of their updated /  current price structure.

Unless I'm selling a VERY expensive item or set, and am willing to absorb a significant amount of the shipping cost, I lot my listings in such a way that they will fit in a 12" cube, or 1728 cubic inch box.  If you opt to use UPS or FedEx they were already using DIMS rates so the same basically applies.

I was one of the best packers of glass and china on ebay for 20 years with never a single breakage.  Once USPS went to DIMS for all zones we had to cut back on size (less bubble, less peanuts, smaller boxes).  Three broken lots in the last month (But also watch some video of USPS handlers loading trucks or go visit a UPS site and watch the conveyor belts drop your parcel from 8").  

Think long and hard about listing glass and china that can't go 1728 cubic inches.  Your $20 crystal lot may cost $30+ to ship. So nobody's going to buy it.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

8+ FEET drop

Message 14 of 14
latest reply