Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify this Ginori vase

Hi,

38E7DF7D-80AD-4150-A6AF-90CEE285BB1F.jpeg

0884534F-CF64-4543-819A-BE2E9907B5E2.jpeg

4544940D-C254-4EB0-836F-1D8FD3AD3B5F.jpeg

Can you help me identify this vase? It has a Ginori marking on it.

Ewout

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Please help identify this Ginori vase

I think it was designed by Gio Ponti who worked for Richard Ginori in the 20's or 30's. The vase was designed in various whimsical designs. 

Hope this steers you in the right direction. 

Love it!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I think it was designed by Gio Ponti who worked for Richard Ginori in the 20's or 30's. The vase was designed in various whimsical designs. 

Hope this steers you in the right direction. 

Love it!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you Findersltd. Much appreciated. I’ll dig in some more. Glad you like the piece. The design just makes me happy!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Gio Ponti did create a vase just like this but this one is fake. I don't believe this one is porcelain as it should be. It is incorrectly marked. The mark would have been mechanically imprinted, not handwritten. It would have been marked "Italy" or "Italia". There were pieces produced that were not made in porcelain but those were made by San Cristoforo (a division of Ginori) and the markings would have indicated that fact. Had the vase been genuine it would have valued between $400 to $600.

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@wdel97

Actually there was one sold in Battle, East Sussex and it was listed as Gio Ponti pottery vase and bears the same marking on the underside. Not sure if I'm allowed to give the link.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I have no doubt that someone purchased one just like it. If I were dishonest I would spend my days making dozens of these and selling them on ebay. Greed can be a strong motivator. Unfortunately the number of fakes sold  doesn't legitimize them. 

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Walter, I bought the one in Battle! Haha! So it’s a fake...? That’s too bad. I thought that it might have been a pre-production run. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@zevenewou

Don't feel bad. I saw another auction house for antiques that had one listed as earthenware. I guess, unfortunately if it can make money it will be copied and even auction houses don't know what they really have. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply