cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lead crystal glass

I recently purchased a lead glass CRYSTAL bell.

When I was taking photos I noticed an artifact within the glass.  Could it be remnants of Lead? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Lead crystal glass

metallic lead is not used in the production of lead crystal, it is a compound of lead-lead oxide which is a powder.  this inclusion is just a contamination.  On first look I would doubt it was lead crystal.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Lead crystal glass

Your bell is part of the Byrde's Collection by Bleikristall and is 24% lead crystal. 

"The Grass is not
greener on the other side , You're just looking at it from another
perspective."

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Lead crystal glass

Just to clarify,  the word Bleikristall is not a manufacturer or importer / exporter, but the German word for lead crystal which can be found on many German glass factory's wares.

The "Byrde's Collection" was a specific line which was produced by Hofbauer, not sure enough of the bell is pictured to make a definitive attribution to that company or specific line (although it looks very similar).

As md1919 noted, the area you pictured is an "inclusion" which occurred during production and significantly reduces the value (if it is a Hofbauer bell, these are currently selling on R Ltd. for $13.99, so with this issue, much less.)

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Lead crystal glass

Thank you
Message 5 of 5
latest reply