cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Johanna Calif

My Grandmother made ceramics under the name of Johanna Calif. Her name was Johanna Sailors. I grew up with many of the Santa's she made.   Sure wish I had asked more questions when I was younger. . My 93 year old dad remembers helping her pack things for shipping.   Looking for more info on her work, Thanks Debby

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Johanna Calif

All I found in Chipman's was the location, which you know, that it was active in the '40s, and that some of the molds were sold to Betty Lou Nichols after it closed.  Can you contact the city or the public library there?

Janet

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Johanna Calif

Thank you for the info. Checking out Betty Lou Nichols. I remember Grandmother said she made her own molds. Thanks debby

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Johanna Calif

I have been in love with your Grandmother's work ever since I discovered her!  I don't find them often, but I grab them when I can.  Did she work for Betty Lou Nichols at one time?  Another site mentioned she worked for another ceramic artist before going on her own.  Such talent & charm in her pieces!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Johanna Calif

I'm not 100% sure but I believe she sold her molds to Betty after she closed her shop down. I see Betty used Grandmother's molds to make some of grandmother's Santas, but the work isn't as fine as my grandmother's but hers do sell for more than Grandmothers. I know Grandmother brought one of her kilims from the shop and had it in her garage for many years. I grew up always in another State or Country then she did and was lucky if we saw her 3 times a year.  I sure wish I had asked her more questions. Tomorrow .3/21/24 my grandmother died about 40 years ago. My mother also passed on the same day 4 years later. I would love to see your collection. I know she would get a kick out of how much her things sell for. So very Happy you reached out to me. Debby

Message 5 of 5
latest reply