cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Italy Pottery - Dating Cantagalli Rooster Mark - Pattern Name?

I'm contemplating purchasing this service for 6 china set for $130. I was hoping to figure out the age or possibly a pattern name. Does $130 sound fair or too high? TIA, Joe

(Also, Is there any chance it is a knock off?)

italy plate.jpgitaly tureen.jpgitaly set.jpgitaly mark.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The mark is not Cantagalli but rather Galvani. This company was in business from 1811 to 1981. It is best known for its tableware rather than art pottery. The mark is in a style used by the company in the 1960's. The pattern, one of the oldest and most easily internationally recognized, is known as the Garafano. Below is an article I wrote on the subjject

I can't help you with values. 

http://italianpotterymarks.freeforums.org/europe-s-oldest-dinnerware-pattern-still-popular-today-t22...

Walter Del Pellegrino

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The mark is not Cantagalli but rather Galvani. This company was in business from 1811 to 1981. It is best known for its tableware rather than art pottery. The mark is in a style used by the company in the 1960's. The pattern, one of the oldest and most easily internationally recognized, is known as the Garafano. Below is an article I wrote on the subjject

I can't help you with values. 

http://italianpotterymarks.freeforums.org/europe-s-oldest-dinnerware-pattern-still-popular-today-t22...

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank You, Walter!!! 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Walter---you are so awesome ! 🙂

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thank you maryislgal. Alas, I wish it were true but I lack the attributes of awesomeness. I simply seem to have filled my mind with discarded information others have no use for. I am merely happy to share that information from to time. 

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I know this is an old thread but I have a question about some Cantagalli Firenze plates I have. The rooster and name are embedded or imprinted inside the actual plate does anyone know what that means? It's not a blue rooster it's part of the plate I don't know how else to describe it and also it's very dirty and one is signed but I can't understand what it says. Any ideas why this is embedded and not drawn on like the rest? Thank you 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

it is best to start a new thread

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

The impressed seal was reserved for use on artwork produced in terracotta during the first three decades of the twentieth century.
Terracotta, in comparison to the industrial white clays used in mass production, is rough and very dense. It must, by its nature, be worked entirely by hand. Modern machines would be damaged by its demanding composition. This means that the terracotta must be hand worked into the molds and when the clay is dry it must be removed from the molds by hand. This process limits production numbers to a fraction of that created by industrial clays using machinery. Most pieces found with this mark appeared in the early Cantagalli Catalog.
Your glazed terracotta piece is not really a plate. It is correctly called a “Tondo” which is to say “Art in the Round”. Most tondos are large, usually two feet or more in diameter but the term has been expanded in modern times to include smaller examples.

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I think what you're calling the signature is just Italy.
Janet
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Oh. I meant the rooster being embedded. I was wondering why some are painted blue and why mine isn't. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so much. You seem very knowledgeable. I have another question hopefully you wouldn't mind answering for me. I am wondering how to clean these items. It's not surface dirt or stains and I'm so scared I'm going to ruin them. I have 4 of these plates I will upload a picture to give you an idea of the uncleanness of these items. Thank you so much I am so very appreciative. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply