cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with authenticity of carnival glass vase?

I researched this for a while and I know the original pattern is inverted strawberry by Cambridge. On ddoty the handles are different on the example they listed. I searched all the pages on ddoty: reproductions, fakes, contemporary. The only company that I saw that reproduced the Celery vase was Mosser, but I cannot find an Iridescent blue celery vase made by Mosser. A buyer told me they think that Boyd made reproductions of these, but I am unable to find anything to validate that. Does anyone have any carnival books, or any information about this. I by no means want to sell this item as something it is not. I would like to sell it for the proper amount. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Help with authenticity of carnival glass vase?

Looks like the Mosser version. Their catalog is on line.
george
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I agree that it looks like the Mosser version. The only issue I am having is finding any Mosser in this pattern and form showing any iridescence. Can it be that it was just a very limited run, or maybe someone applied iridescence after if that's even possible. Or maybe it is Boyd as the person suggested. I would like to price it accordingly, but the Cobalt versions I see by Mosser in this pattern have no iridescence. They go for pretty cheap, but IMO they aren't as nice as this one with lots of iridescence. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Carnival is a surface treatment that AI do not see in this piece. It looks a a good quality of glass that was finished with a nice shine to me.
george
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Carnival glass creates that oil like colors on the glass, this has that.  the colors are there.  If it was just highly polished glass it wouldn't show the colors that it does..it would just show the cobalt blue.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yeah I was always under the impression that the 'oil in water' rainbow iridescence meant carnival glass. I have searched every where, and besides the picture on the ddoty website, I cannot find another example of the Cambridge celery vase in any color. I also cannot find any Mosser celery vases with the oil in water iridescence which is why I have hit a dead end with this. Thanks for the comments. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply