cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a glass tree topper

Hi folks!

I have a pair of clear glass finials, Christmas tree toppers, the points are hand twisted glass - they (the pair) aren’t an exact match in height or width, but very close.

They had some old, yucky attic debris, with antique wired tinsel inside. Hollow .  No significant wear , but if they were used as tree toppers, the bases would not, necessarily, show any shelf wear. 

Thought to be “Victorian” by the lady I bought them from. And I think they could be. However, I’ve been looking for a few months, and haven’t seen similar anywhere. 

Any thoughts? Or , hopefully, an ID?

Thanks for looking!381B8D5A-8EEE-4A9F-9618-1191C17EA083.jpegE0C7B95D-B6EA-4507-893A-76B341C553FA.jpeg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The antique wired tinsel was probably part of the toppers.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Why do you say that?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

There are toppers with tinsel wire in the old European ones, sometimes around the outside. Or a netting of wire. The tinsel wire would camouflage the actual tree top a little in the clear glass. If you can separate the debris from the tinsel wire, I would keep it. They are pretty, having a pair is nice. They sell well starting this time of year.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Ah. Thanks, that clarifies. Well, it was mouse-furred & pooped, and wasn’t special, so it’s gone. (I checked eBay before tossing to  make sure I wasn’t tossing out something irreplaceable. ) 

Im curious why I haven’t found any similar to these online. There are new Waterford Irish cut crystal, gift-shop type from various makers, but no older clear glass in this form. It’s kind of weird not to find a match. I see lots of thin mercury glass ones, no heavy clear other than the Irish crystal.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Haha don't need mouse poop at all.

I looked a little and didn't see any like yours with the unusual shaped middle. The mercury glass ones are very lightweight, many went on feather trees. How heavy are they?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

8 ounces, approx.

Lenox made a similar shape, but it was cut glass. 

The bottom bulb portion has no mold lines, so I presume it is blown. The spire likes hand twisted, especially since comparison of the pair shows differences in width of the spire and consistency of the twist.

It could be old Lenox. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I emailed Lenox.

The Rep responded quickly, asking for pics.

We’ll see what happens.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Good idea. It would be nice to have a name, to grab specific collectors. I can see these being more versatile on modern Christmas looks too. Goes with mid-century. They would look great topping a metallic tree. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Lenox CS got back...

Unfortunately after researching this product I am unable to identify this item as a Lenox product.

I am happy about this. It means they’re more unusual than Lenox, which, to me, is a plus.

🤷🏻‍♀️

Message 10 of 10
latest reply