cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help w/Identifying 12" Vintage Pottery Vase

Hi everyone.  i couldn't put this piece down today when i came across it at the Goodwill.  my disease got the better of me again.  what's visible of the mark on the base is just interesting enough to me that i thought i'd buy it and see if anyone here recognizes it.  the vase is just under 12 inches in height and dark blue(i don't know if you can tell the color from the pics).   a friend i ran into at the store thought it was French.  any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

vase_ful.jpgvase_opening.jpgvase_mark.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Definitely Red Wing.  That cobalt glaze is my favorite. In certain lighting, it's almost impossible to tell that it's actually blue, not black.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

hmmm, i don't see any 12" examples i wonder if that's what the "150" is referring to.  i see where the 9" is #154.  any idea how old it is?  thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I'm traveling and don't have access to my reference books. Go to the red wing collector society website, there is a lot of good information available.            

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

thank you all for your help.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I found the following question and answer at the Red Wing Collectors Society web site that says the 154 vase comes in two sizes: 12" and 9 1/2". I found information on several other sites dating it to the 1930s but can't confirm that info.

"Question:
Red Wing Vase # 154 in dark teal green glaze. no imperfections. Number is clearly marked on the bottom, Grecian style with handles. I would like to sell it but do not know how much it is worth. Thanks Nancy

Answer: Hi Nancy

there are two sizes of the 154, a 12", and 9 1/2". Value is around 150.00 for the 12", and 110.00 or so for the smaller version. thanks, steve n rose May 14, 2010"

Message 7 of 7
latest reply