cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed in Iding maker of satin/frosted glass horse bookend

Hi, I am seeking help in Iding the maker of my satin/frosted glass horse bookend.  Ebay listing stated the maker of the one listed was by Fostoria New Martinsville from the 40's but another listing showed the same bookend and id the maker as L.E. Smith.  The first photo is of my book end, the second photo is of the one in the Ebay listing as L.E. Smith.  Could someone please leave info and or replies to properly Id the bookend.  Thanks. Jocimaybe2.jpg

horse theirs.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Try L.E. Smith. I think that's who made those.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Fostoria and New Martinsville are two different Cos so that listing did not know what they were talking about. It does not look like either of their products to me.
george
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

George, thanks for the info advising that Fostoria and New Martinsville are two separate companies.  That just proves that you cannot bank on the info in auctions.  Since the bookend does not look it was made by either of these companies, do you think it is L.E.Smith  as the other poster suggested?  Thanks. Joci

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

These do not look like the same bookends or the mold got very worn.  Have you tried a google match?

Patd

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The Glass Animal refernce guide by Garmon & Spencer devotes a whole page (p. 231) comparing the rearing horses made by L E Smith, Fostoria and New Martinsville.  Heisey also made a rearing horse but his one is not usually confused.

Smith - 8" tall, 5-1/2" long, beaded mane, 1940s crystal, frosted, later colors amberina, blue, amber black  20..00-30.00

#2564 Fostoria  1939-58,  reissued in crystal only in 1991 for Fostoria outlet stores, 7-1/4" tall, 5-1/2" long base, close cropped mane, right ear smaller than the left, rectangular opening on base measues 4-1/2" long by 2-1/4" wide and 1/8" deep 35.00 -45.00

New Martinsville  Carriage Horse Bookend 1940s close cropped mane  pink, crystal, peach satin 7-1/2" tall, 5-1/2" long base.  Base is ground smooth to the hollow which goes up into the animal. Clarity of glass better than Fostoria horse 65.00-75.00

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Patd, you are right the horse I have and the photo of the one listed on Ebay do not look the same.  The mane and the tail details are different, with the mane on mine being more scalloped and the tail not as detailed.  I also received a reply from kaudet (below) who provided descriptions of Fostoria, New Martinsville, and L.E.Smith frosted rearing horse book end.  I will reply so you may want to check both your reply and the other out.  I learned a lot from you and the other posters in their replies, so thanks. Joci

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Kaudet, thanks for the info and providing description of each of the companies horse book end.  In checking each of them I really don't think that mine was made by any  of the  3 companies.  Mine does measure 7 1/4 tall but the base is only 4 1/4 long, and the ears appear to be the same size so that rules out Fostoria.  Also the Smith is 8" tall and  New Martinsville is 7 1/2 tall so it looks as none of the companies can be credited with mfg my frosted rearing horse book end.  So, the question is is this a copy cat done by another unknown company?  I really appreciate all the info and time you took in replying to my question.  If you have any other ideas about this piece, please reply.  Thanks.  Joci

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

IMHO, Yours most closely resembles L.E. Smiths production.  The mold may have been worn, and then combined with the process of stainizing/frosting it the details are a bit more obsured.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

msgood2shoe, thanks for reply and providing the info that my piece may still be by L.E.Smith and why it may look different because of the issues with the mold.   Whenever I come to this forum seeking info I can always count on you to reply.   Much appreciated. Joci

Message 10 of 10
latest reply