cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ID a possible early clay pot (Native American?)

Hi All - Bought this pot at a thrift shop in the northeast US a month ago. Can't ID it and wanted to see if anyone on here can. Measures approx 8in across 5in high. Just a guess on size. Lightly decorated. No idea on this one. Photos below. Thanks!

0423191155.jpg0423191154b.jpg0423191154a.jpg0423191154.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hello Matthew,

I believe this is a Native American pot. Part of the incised design is very similar to a Navajo pitch pot I recently sold. However, in your photos the pot doesn't appear to have a shiny coat of pine resin such as you would usually find on pitch pots.

Since you found this in the north eastern US it's very possible that it was produced by a tribe from that region. I recall seeing pottery from a northeastern tribe that very much resembled your pot but for the life of me I can't remember the name now. I believe the name began with an O, not Ottawa or Oneida.

I'm on my phone at the moment but will look through some notes on my computer later and see if I can find the name of the tribe again.

Thanks and good luck!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ojibwe?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Maybe? Maybe Onondaga? The Onondaga are members of the Iroquois confederacy so I'd look at some images for Iroquois pottery as well. They tend to be mixed together when you do a search.

If you have a Facebook account try submitting a question to the, Jim Barufaldi, Native American Pottery group. If anyone will recognize it, and quickly, it will be them.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks to both of you. Yeah my search is saying maybe Eastern Woodlands but that was as far as I got. I will continue my searching with the info you sent along.

It oddly has a silvery sheen on the bottom or some sort of sheen. Not sure it is in the clay or maybe from it being fired. Hard to see in the photos. 

It's a cool piece but I don't collect Native American stuff and will likely list it on here in the near future.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Oh was it Oneida?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply