cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass: Would like help to ID an EAPG thick glass compote w snowflake pattern

Hi Glassies. I bought a pressed glass compote to use as a base for a glass ceiling shade, to make a DIY centerpiece bowl.

The compote is very sturdy, the bowl glass is 1/4" thick and it has snowflake patterns in recessed hemispheres on the outside. Tapered 6-sided stem. It's a little over 5-1/4" tall.

I found a straw mark under the bowl, so it's older than I originally thought and now  I'm curious if it's identifiable.

Thanks,

Bill

bowl3a.jpgbowl5.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Looks very similar to a pattern I had a long time ago that was ID'd as  Frost Crystal by Tarentum Glass. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

"straw marks" are not necessarily indicative of age. A better term is shear mark where the gather was cut from the pot and cooled at a different speed. I would start looking here http://www.eapgs.org/patterns/
george
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks, george. I used the Advanced Search at that site and found one compote with a snowflake pattern in the bottom of the bowl.

I am familiar with carnival glass straw marks that I thought were made by cooling piece on a bed of straw. This is a thin line, slight indented.

Bill

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

If the glass was hot enough to pick up a mark from the straw it would be hot enough to set the straw on fire. That is an old wives tale to explain something the dealer/collector did not understand, Probably reinforced by using straw as a cushioning material in the shipping barrels.
george
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Is it from the cooling marks looking like thin vertical lines, maybe? Remember people using that term since I was a kid in the flea markets.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Yes the glass touched by the shears started cooling first and lacking the mass of the object cooled faster.
george
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Looks very similar to a pattern I had a long time ago that was ID'd as  Frost Crystal by Tarentum Glass. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

(OMN, Peerless)
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

ttsf54: Thanks, I believe that's it. My compote only has 6 frost branches in the circular recesses. The other pieces I saw had 8, but the convincer for me was the fan shapes in the corners of the panels.

What is OMN? Original name?

Thanks again,

Bill

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yes, original manufacturers name. Hopefully that'll get you in right direction for a match to your piece. Good luck.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply