cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GLASSIES - PLS LOOK AT MY 13" VINTAGE APOTHOCARY/ SHOW GLOBE / DECANTER ????

This is a 13" jar with stopper.  The "foot" is closed on bottom so any contents would go completely to the bottom of the glass.  The stopper also is able to be filled.  Side seams.  Lead in the glass gives the ball portion lots of waves.  Certainly was not intended to hold anything but a liquid.   Thoughts on age and purpose will be greatly appreciated.   Thanks for looking.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: GLASSIES - PLS LOOK AT MY 13" VINTAGE APOTHOCARY/ SHOW GLOBE / DECANTER ????

Maybe lab ware?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: GLASSIES - PLS LOOK AT MY 13" VINTAGE APOTHOCARY/ SHOW GLOBE / DECANTER ????

I dont think it is thin enough for lab use and i dont think it would have a decorative stopper.  Thanks so much for your input. 

Surprised...i dont know why....to see you here....so used to seeing you on the jewelry board.

Do you think i would get more info on antiques board with this decanter?

Thanks again   Karen

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@wessleysbest wrote:

Surprised...i dont know why....to see you here....so used to seeing you on the jewelry board.

We get around, don't we? 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

definitely not laboratory glass

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

It reminds me of one of those bottles that was specifically made to hold colorful liqueurs or wines that were sold in the "imported from Italy" areas of stores.  They sold Italian meats, cheeses and other imported foods and spirits in fancy bottles.  Imagine that the stopper had a plastic or cork plug at the bottom (now gone) and that maybe there was a raffia or rope twisted around the bottle to form a handle.  

It might be something else entirely, but that's all I can think of.  

Pam
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes, I think they were called "show globes".  No other logical explanation and you wouldn't want to drink anything from a decanter with this much lead.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply