cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carnival Glass Engraving

Recently acquired and no luck identifying the engraving or info on the maker, etc.  (Rawlins ___? 1917)

Blue glass bottom with no markings. pic5.jpgpic4.jpgpic3.jpgpic2.jpgpic1.jpg Any help is appreciated in advance.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Carnival Glass Engraving

Fenton Blackberry Spray? http://www.ddoty.com/blackbryspray.html

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

It could be Rawlins, Wyoming, but I have no idea why.

Janet

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I agree on Rawlins Wyo. It was probably a souvenir piece, but don't usually see the engraving on carnival pieces like this. Even the smallest towns had souvenir glass back then.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Makes sense, I see the "Wyo" now. Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Even county fairs had glass engraving, so essentially anybody could have done the engraving, and even though it is dated, it still could have been done at any time, and perhaps very recently. We know of an art pottery collector who routinely marked art pottery with a felt tipped pen, trying to show that the item was 'signed'. Collectors need to be skeptical, all the time.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I agree with jrkirk, its good to be skeptical about everything. Yet, that signature is of the era. Bet my Tiffany on it. There's a flow and "ease" of writing that, when it differs significantly from current-day hand styles, is nearly impossible to fake with conviction.

**on written forgeries**

When trying to mimic a writing style not your own, (without a lot of practice,) the result nearly always comes out...halting, stilted, too concerned with getting it era appropriate, or if its a true forgery, getting it to look like the artist's (or account holder's) writing style to be the casual scrawl of one comfortable in their hand. I don't know if I'm making sense, but there's a distinct lack of spontaneity and freedom in it. If you're familiar with forged signatures, you just can see it so clearly, even when you're not familiar with the style they were trying to copy. It's just..."wrong" looking. 

The chutzpah of forging a line of that size just commands its own kind of respect, right?

The archaic letter styles, flowing hand, and 178pt font (hahaa!) used are, when combined, very UNlikely to be a fake/forgery. 

I've never come across a piece of glass marked like this before and I'm very glad to have seen it!! Thanks for sharing. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It's not a signature, so I don't really see where you're coming from.  It just says Rawlins, Wyo--nothing to forge.

Janet

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I was referencing the call for skepticism. I was underlining the unlikelihood of anything to be skeptical of.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply