cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cameo Vase Pair Marked With Oval Logo - Please Help Glassies

Hello Folks.  I recently purchased this pair of satin blue cameo vases.  Each vase has a painted scene with 3 buildings, possibly a church?  The vases stand about 9 1/8" tall and measure approximately 6" wide.  The underside of each vase is marked with a painted oval containing the word "CAMEO".  One has remnants of an old paper label.

I believe the vases to be quite old with age appropriate wear on the underside of the base.  I realize that a number of companies produced this "cameo glass", both in Europe and the United States.  Does anyone recognize the oval CAMEO mark and can it be attributed to a specific maker?  Also, I'd be curious about any thoughts regarding the buildings in the painted image.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

cameovase both.jpgcameovase close1.jpgcameovase close2.jpgcameovase side1.jpgcameovase under.jpgcameovase mark.jpg 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Mike,

IMHO, I would suggest these are Bohemian from the period 1880 - 1900.

They fall under the generic "faux cameo" label.  I've had a number of these with different painted markings similar to yours; "Florentine Cameo Art" / "Cameo Art" / "Rococo Art Glass".  

They are not American, but are similar in some respects to the grossly overused term, "Mary Gregory" enameled art glass.

The decoration is a typical representation of Eastern European villages of the period.  The glass is clear colored with a satinized / acid washed finish (not opaque glass).  

If you have any additional questions you can contact me directly.

Best of luck with them.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Looks to me that the decoration is painted on. My 1st thought was Pilgrim or Fenton post WW2.
george
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the reply George.  Yes, the design is painted in the "Mary Gregory" style, so it's not true carved cameo glass.  These painted pieces were sometimes referred to as "poor mans cameo".  My feeling is that this vase is a Victorian era piece from the late 19th century or early 20th century.  The cameo mark on the bottom suggests that it was an imitation of more expensive carved cameo pieces.  The thinner glass and fine details of the design are more typical of early "Mary Gregory" pieces, versus newer Fenton and Westmoreland examples.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Here is a link to another vase with a similarly described "CAMEO" in oval mark:

http://www.brunkauctions.com/lot-detail/?id=9553

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

You have it in hand so easier to judge.
george
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I looked in Truitts booklet on "Mary Gregory" They refer to the CAMEO being used in the late 1800s after the popularity of Northwood's recreation of the Portland Vase. They deal mainly with eastern Europe decorators. They do not mention the Currier and Ives style buildings and snow on this vase but deal only with the "quarkmanl" ie "white people" decoration which is the most common. The decoration still looks more American than European to me. Possibly done for export to USA
george
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I wonder if the vase could be described as blue opaline? To me it has that look.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I wouldn't call it blue opaline, which is usually light blue opalescent glass cased in crystal.  This vase is simply blue glass with a satin finish and a handpainted "cameo" decoration.  I've also seen this style referred to as "impasto cameo".  Phoenix Glass had a line by this name circa 1880's.

Does anyone have an idea about the buildings pictured?  The central "tower" with the rod/pole on top is quite unusual.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Mike,

IMHO, I would suggest these are Bohemian from the period 1880 - 1900.

They fall under the generic "faux cameo" label.  I've had a number of these with different painted markings similar to yours; "Florentine Cameo Art" / "Cameo Art" / "Rococo Art Glass".  

They are not American, but are similar in some respects to the grossly overused term, "Mary Gregory" enameled art glass.

The decoration is a typical representation of Eastern European villages of the period.  The glass is clear colored with a satinized / acid washed finish (not opaque glass).  

If you have any additional questions you can contact me directly.

Best of luck with them.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Mike,

Sorry,  I didn't thoroughly read all the previous text, let me know if you need more info to write an accurate description.  George's latter information is on point,  but if you need additional let me know.

S

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

The glass is clear colored with a satinized / acid washed finish (not opaque glass)."

This is a new technique to me. Do you have a reference where I can learn more?

george
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hello S,

Thanks for all the information.  I was thinking Bohemian also but I knew some U.S. companies also made similar looking glass.  I was naively hoping that the oval Cameo mark had been positively attributed to a specific glass company.

I have just one question.  When you said "clear glass", did you mean clear blue glass or clear crystal.  I was thinking the glass was clear blue with an acid wash satin finish.  Am I wrong about that?

Thanks again for your expertise!

Mike

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry I should have said transparent blue instead of clear colored.  The glass itself is blue but the opaque effect is created with the satinized / acid wash.

I haven't seen a definitive attribution to the oval "CAMEO" mark.

Shawn

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thanks Shawn.  I figured that is what you meant but I wanted to be sure.  I appreciate all your help.  I found a photo of some buildings in an old European monastery that look very similar to the design painted on the vases.  Perhaps they were depicting an old church.  Take care!

Mike

Message 14 of 14
latest reply