Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue White Glazed Pottery Vase? ID Help

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Walter should confirm this, but I think it says Navanzino, Caltag. (for Caltagirone).
Janet
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Janet is correct in identifying the name on the base. That identification only created problems for me. The Navazino family has been producing ceramics artists for several generations. The best known is Francesco Navazino who opened his studio in the mid 1970's. It continues to be operated by his children. Their products are beautiful pieces done in a traditional style. I must admit to be in love with their work. But this amphora is unlike anything I have seen by any Navazino. It is crude, seemingly poorly designed and badly executed. This is not the kind of work that any Navazino would sign his or her name to.. So I just had to investigate. It seems that there are a number of family members producing artwork in Caltagirone so its safe to assume that this may be the work of a different Navazino. I was satisfied with that answer but then I came across an article (in Italian) about a 2017

exhibit by the Navazino brothers, Antonio and Luigi. The exhibit was a study in color and form that was drastically different from the traditional. I then learned that Francesco himself had wanted to produce modern works of art rather than the more traditional majolica he makes today. He attempted to do this in the early 1970's but he failed and was forced to return to the traditonal work his customers demanded. 

This makes me wonder if the example we have here is not one of those early pieces?

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Very interesting. I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with this information. Thank you very much!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you Janet!
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes was just at the Francesco Navanzino shop, June 2019. Definitely theirs. They are top notch quality. Father and son work together.  See www.ceramicanavanzino.com

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It is Navanzino, not Navazino. Francesco still very much there. They are making more modern looking pieces still. In fact, they are making pearlized vases now, very beautiful glaze. I purchased pasta bowls and plates with modern designs of fruit. While I like the traditional designs, I chose modern designs form the pieces I ordered. See website: www.ceramicanavanzino.com
Message 7 of 7
latest reply