cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay overcharges Sales Tax

Why did eBay charge me more than 11.5% tax on my order when my local state +City tax is 10.1%? This seems to be repeatedly done by eBay. This is discouraging me big  time  to buy on eBay. This is unfair trade practice by eBay. I request eBay to update their sales tax calculator and refund the excess tax they are charging customers.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

OP says:  "Why did eBay charge me more than 11.5% tax on my order when my local state +City tax is 10.1%? This seems to be repeatedly done by eBay. This is discouraging me big  time  to buy on eBay. This is unfair trade practice by eBay."

To quote the response from "valueaddedresource":  "In Washington, shipping or delivery costs that are stated separately are subject to sales tax."

"This is unfair trade practice by eBay."   Nope.  It is absolutely mandatory compliance by eBay with the sales taxation laws of the State of Washington.  

To avoid this shock, the OP can look for eBay listings that include "free shipping."  That way, he can figure the 10.1% sales tax on his winning bid or the item's BIN price.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You can check the sales tax rate with your zip + 4 number online.....

(it may not be exactly what you are charged locally)

what is your zip + 4 ?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@diytech1 wrote:

Why did eBay charge me more than 11.5% tax on my order when my local state +City tax is 10.1%? This seems to be repeatedly done by eBay. This is discouraging me big  time  to buy on eBay. This is unfair trade practice by eBay. I request eBay to update their sales tax calculator and refund the excess tax they are charging customers.

@diytech1 are the items you are purchasing with free shipping or is the shipping stated separately? If there is shipping charged, are you including that in your calculation that gets you to 11.5% tax?

In Washington, shipping or delivery costs that are stated separately are subject to sales tax.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

OP says:  "Why did eBay charge me more than 11.5% tax on my order when my local state +City tax is 10.1%? This seems to be repeatedly done by eBay. This is discouraging me big  time  to buy on eBay. This is unfair trade practice by eBay."

To quote the response from "valueaddedresource":  "In Washington, shipping or delivery costs that are stated separately are subject to sales tax."

"This is unfair trade practice by eBay."   Nope.  It is absolutely mandatory compliance by eBay with the sales taxation laws of the State of Washington.  

To avoid this shock, the OP can look for eBay listings that include "free shipping."  That way, he can figure the 10.1% sales tax on his winning bid or the item's BIN price.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The OP has been MIA....a bunch of us are trying to help, but it's just a hit and run with no supporting facts again........

(in my city it can either be 8.0% or 6.75% (depending on your zip + 4)

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for all responses. As someone moved to Washington state recently I am realizing the heavy taxation from all fronts in this state . I am appalled to see items being taxed for shipping and handling charges. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

My zip code is 98006-2337. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You are correct (this is pretty accurate)

!ebay-sales-tax-calc.jpg

If you are calculating the sales tax on JUST the item, then you are doing it incorrectly...

Example: 

$10.00 item with $8.00 shipping....18.00 Total

Calculated on $10.00 would be $1.01 Sales Tax (10.1% of the item cost only)

Calculated on $18.00 would be $1.81 Sales Tax (18.1% of the item cost only) this is correct, ...

so it appears on the surface you are paying 18.1%

Message 8 of 8
latest reply