cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay declining payments

Hi all,

I've been experiencing declined payments (intermittenlty) for past 3 weeks. I will share in case someone else can help or has had similar experiences. At first, I was able to buy many items without a problem. But, after starting to by more expensive items (over $200 up to $3K), security blocks would limit me. 

I have spoken to over 20 different agents on eBay (from Buying division, payment division and payments risk dept). . Yes, it has been a lot of wasted time.

At first, I'm told to wait 24 hours for an internal security block/risk to clear. This approach worked at first. 

Intermittently, I was able to pay for a few days. 

Now again, I'm unable to pay. Bank account and CC are fine. Paypal is fine. Paypal actually said this is on eBay's end.

eBay admits they have a security block, not related to me as a buyer. Quote, "there is a security risk to the buyer, seller and eBay".

Now here the catch; the seller has been on eBay for over a decade and has over 10K positive reviews. 

I've been on Bay for over 12 years, have over 650 positive reviews (no negative), and always pay on time. No fraud reports created. 

So, why this issue? Perhaps, because I started buying multiple items within the past 3 weeks after years of not using eBay. However, I was told there is no buying limit on my account (this has clearly been conveyed).

Supervisors for Payment risk have told me it is beyond their control.

At one point, I was even told to find the item elsewhere....

Shame on eBay. I'm trying to buy an item and am unable.

I understand they have security measures, but so do banks. With banks for example, if there is suspected fraud, a payment is blocked. However, you can call the bank and once they verify who you are, you can proceed with the purchase. This is not happening with eBay!!!

I'm trying to buy a rare item (only two on eBay) at a good price and am being prevented from doing so....

Anyone can help?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay declining payments

The only fraud occurring here is by you - how many more auctions are you going to cancel due to your "flooded basement"?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

eBay declining payments

Have you read the pinned thread by elizabeth@ebay that's on the top of the page?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

eBay declining payments

This has started this year around June and it’s still happening until today (12-2022). I added several new cards to buy with and it happens almost every time so I just added my cards to PayPal and it goes right through. EBay payments has been broken somehow and I did the call thing and they said in 24 hours try again but still no go. To frustrating so just go back to PayPal use.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

eBay declining payments

I've had a friend who advised me quite a lot of money had been taken by eBay and then reversed putting a minus figure on the account reversing a charge. This has happened several times and they're having to manually pay the outstanding balance.  It kept getting to a point where eBay was constantly placing restrictions. I don't know whether it may be a tech issue or payment issues??

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

eBay declining payments

Your repeated cancellations, citing a "flooded basement," raise suspicions about the legitimacy of your actions.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

eBay declining payments

@brles_6485 wrote:

Your repeated cancellations, citing a "flooded basement," raise suspicions about the legitimacy of your actions.

This thread is from September 2021. The OP may not even see your comment since they haven’t been in this forum since 2021. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

eBay declining payments

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply