cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Hold on Funds

So I've been selling on eBay for over 5 years with 100% positive feedback.  I've sold pretty much the same kind of thing too, horse tack.  Last year I sold a saddle for over $3000 and a week ago I sold a saddle for $1200.  However, this time, eBay put a 21 day hold on my funds.  I shipped the saddle, buyer loves it, left positive feedback.  I called eBay to ask why the funds were on hold and they said it was because my item was over $1000 and was in a risky category.   I explained that the buyer left positive feedback and they said it didn't matter, that the funds were on hold and that they could not manually release the funds.  I even called PayPal to see if they could help and they said they didn't have the funds eBay still had it.  Yet eBay is telling me PayPal has it.  I checked on the fund availability policy in my state (Florida) and the maximum allowed for funds transfers is 10 days.  My question is two-fold.  1) What can I do to get my funds release sooner 2) Why would eBay hold people's money when so many of us desperately need it, especially during these difficult times?  What kind of company makes it harder for people to earn money when they might have lost a job or be supporting family members who lost jobs???  I am so disillusioned with eBay.  Any insight from others would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

eBay Hold on Funds

@dressagegirl1313 

For items that sell for more then $1000.00, they have been holding the funds for the full 21 days.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

eBay Hold on Funds

That's what they told me but each time I call it's for a different reason.  It seems to me that they're just holding funds to make interest off of the money.  I've already called my state's AG office and eBay cannot hold funds longer than the maximum allowed in the seller's state of residence.  This is apparently an illegal practice.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

eBay Hold on Funds

@dressagegirl1313 wrote:

That's what they told me but each time I call it's for a different reason.  It seems to me that they're just holding funds to make interest off of the money.  I've already called my state's AG office and eBay cannot hold funds longer than the maximum allowed in the seller's state of residence.  This is apparently an illegal practice.

Ah this is eBay and you agree to their terms:

not your state terms and rules..

Good luck on this.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

eBay Hold on Funds

You're likely considered a "new" seller because before this month you hadn't sold anything in more than a year. New sellers are having their sales put on hold, especially sales of high value. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

eBay Hold on Funds

I have sold items within the year.  Was only referencing that I sold a high value item a year ago and they never held any funds even though it was over $1000.  When I asked if this was a new policy, they said it had been in place for years.  The when I asked why the funds weren't held a year ago, they then told me they randomly select people to hold funds.  The story changed every time.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

eBay Hold on Funds

@dressagegirl1313 

They've had the hold policy for years.

Earlier this year, they started holding funds for the full 21 days for items that sell for more then $1000.00.

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply