cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ebay taking so long to make funds available I'm not shipping til I receive money to ship with

So I sold an item on 18th buyer paid on 19th I get a message today saying it is in route to my bank and should be there in 1-3 days.  So where was the money for 5 days?  Am I suppose to be out of pocket for the shipping 

for basically a week before the  money is in my account?  I mail out when I have funds from the seller in an account I can deduct money from for payment of shipping?  What is everyone else doing?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Why is ebay taking so long to make funds available I'm not shipping til I receive money to ship with

Everyone else is using their pending funds to pay for shipping. You can change the option on the label purchase page, left side down near the near the bottom. Once you change it, it should default to it from then on.

@colalady 

The buyer paid on Saturday, so the payment didn't process until Monday.

It takes a day or two to process before Ebay receives the funds.

You can use the pending funds to cover the shipping.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@colalady 

Payment from the 19th (Sat) would process by end of day 21st(Mon) with a "payout" on Tuesday.

Real world payments are not like when PP would "front" the money for us. They spoiled us.

I ship within my handling time stated in the listing using the "pending/available" funds using that option on the label page.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@rebell45 wrote:

Everyone else is using their pending funds to pay for shipping. You can change the option on the label purchase page, left side down near the near the bottom. Once you change it, it should default to it from then on.

Everyone else is using their pending funds if they are printing their labels on eBay. If you choose to use another shipping service to print your labels you are up a creek. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@colalady wrote:

So where was the money for 5 days?  Am I suppose to be out of pocket for the shipping 

for basically a week before the  money is in my account?  

It can happen & simply another cost of doing business.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Debit/credit card payments aren't instantaneous. Not in the live world, not online. Charges are pending on a credit card statement until the payment is complete. You've been on eBay since 1997 so you must remember when PayPal was made mandatory and sellers were clamouring they wouldn't ship items until the money was transferred to their bank accounts (which would also then take several days). Now PayPal fronts the money a buyer completes a payment but that is not how most payment processors work.

Management Payments-style payment processing is become industry standard and sellers will either have to adapt or move on...

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@rebell45 wrote:

Everyone else is using their pending funds if they are printing their labels on eBay. If you choose to use another shipping service to print your labels you are up a creek. 

Not at all - there are a number of options out there if one decides not to use eBay labels.  Yes, one would have to front the money in that case, but your payout will be bigger because of no label deduction - there is no net difference.  I use other shipping apps on a regular basis.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

You are supposed to ship immediately.   EBAY holds back money so you can print label.    When you print label (click on box) to deduct money from Managed Payments.

It is normal for MP to take 5-7 days AFTER sale for money to be deposited into your checking account.   That's just how the system works.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I like that fuzzy math...its only the 22nd so maybe thats 4 days so far

what ebay wants you to do is use the seller hub notice about ready to ship

seller hub says when to ship and thas what I do....I have 1 day shipping 

I also use the MP acount to pay for the labels.

I think the idea of delaying shipping with MP is just ludicrous but thats me

when it says to ship thats what I do..........I do not pay attention to shipping funds since they are always coming in to MP

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I agree with chapeau-noir.

Other shipping apps can be used. One does not have to use Ebay's shipping label service.

I happen to use Stamps.com, because for a very small monthly fee I get more convenience, automatic real-time connection to a lot of online venues, automatic feedback to the buyer, less down-time, more reliability, the best commercial shipping discount rates and options, a less-confusing outlay, and a customer service that actually answers their phones within a couple minutes with real live people who know their stuff and have the authority to immediately solve most problems.

There are other shipping apps as well, so you don't have to use Ebay's system for shipping.

Finally, don't delay your shipping... when Ebay says to ship, you ship!

Cheers, Duffy 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

What everyone else is doing is keeping funds for shipping and not spending everything you get. Stock pile is the answer so you can always pay your fees and your shipping. Do not go into a business with no cash.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Real world payments are not like when PP would "front" the money for us. They spoiled us.

So why can't eBay do the same thing?

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@dugoldstuff wrote:

So why can't eBay do the same thing?

Because it isn't eBay.

They are outsourcing payment management just like they did with PP but with a new company with their own rules. Adyen I believe is the name. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Some of what is being said isn't exactly true.  Sometimes you go to use pending payments to ship the item and there aren't enough funds. If your paypal is hooked up to your bank paypal will still allow you to print out the label from ebay(at least they were)and when they go to find the funds they'll find them in your checking account(assuming that is your backup funding source.  I'm not too happy with funds being delayed a couple days,  then more days to reach my bank if it's late in the week.  I can see how this can be a real problem for many small sellers who don't have a lot of working capital.  I would definitely either pay for overdraft protection or sign up for a Capital one free checking account which has built in overdraft protection(once turned on)just so you don't run into more problems.  As far as the real world, in the real world the customer hands over to you cash and you hand them their goods.  There has been too much tinkering on this site and I think evident by this board many sellers are being affected.  If congress gets away with their poor person tax next year to tax people selling things out of their closet, it's going to get even worse.  My state already has the $600 threshold and when you indicate losses they will question you.  I got real cheeky with them by pointing out I could be just as obnoxious as a big company and even charge myself a salary for manufactured goods.  I did win my state audit/scrutiny today.  Bring back the good aul days when the money was there because we weren't guilty until proven innocent.  Banks need to start working the weekends by law,  or actually get regulated unlike about 100 years ago when they got away with murder.  

Message 15 of 25
latest reply