cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I Want To Know Is How Will EBay Keep My Information Secure?

I don’t have an issue with giving eBay my checking account as I have had a checking account that wasn’t linked to our savings account or our regular checking account on file with PayPal for years. I keep just enough money in it in order to get the account free.

My biggest concern is that if you have my SS# , Address, Full Name, Date of Birth, etc. that this seems like the perfect storm for Identity Theft! How can I be sure that eBay will not be breached, as too many companies have already been just this year alone. It’s happened in the past.  With all of  the information you would have, they could open multiple lines of credit cards and run them up to the max!  These Hackers are very sophisticated and they are generally located in a foreign country, so catching them and prosecuting them is near impossible. I’m not looking to sell on eBay for a job, only to get rid of some items that I have duplicates of that are collectibles or Vinyl LPs that I have two copies of. It’s a hobby , not a company!

i realize that you need my SS# in order to send me a 1099-A form that requires me to claim any sales to my CPA. It’s something that I have always done in past years anyway, but my biggest concern here is Security and having all the information for Identity Theft in one place! By the time I found out that a potential breach has occurred, I could have multiple credit card accounts opened and run up to the max in my name for trying to sell a $45.00 LP? So I have to ask myself is the risk worth the trouble for a few items?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Do you have a lock on your mail box outside your house?

Because where I live there was just a HUGE case of identity theft in affluent neighborhoods near me where the criminals literally went up and stole mail out of peoples mail boxes for YEARS before being caught.

Over 800 victims in all, and many of them were victims of identity theft and fraud from these guys STEALING THEIR MAIL RIGHT OUT OF THEIR MAILBOXES.

If someone wants to steal your information, they're going to steal it no matter what you do to protect it, unless you have one of those Lifelock insurance programs or something but I am not sure how many people go that far with their identity protection. If I went solely by reading these forums I'd think the opposite, that everyone MUST have Lifelock and anyone who didn't is insane.

Anyway, Paypal had much of the same information and they were breached several times, including earlier this year.

Trusting ebay is no more foolish or intelligent than trusting ANY other online company, including your own bank and/or government.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

How does a bank keep your information secure?

How does a credit card company keep your information secure?

How does the license bureau keep you information secure?

How does your Doctor or Hospital keep your info secure?

How does an Insurance company keep your info secure?

How does Paypal keep your info secure?

Ebay,  Amazon,   Walmart,   Cable bill,   Satellite bill,    Phone bill,   Lights,  Gas,  water,  Or direct payment?  Paying with a credit card?

Every time you use a credit card or debit card you're offering your info to a potential crooked employee 

or the business being hacked.

We can't live under a rock.     Our info is everywhere, even if we don't want it to be,    It still is. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

eBay, the payment processor Adyen, your bank and credit cards are all multi billion dollar organizations. eBay would have a similar, not greater risk.

The bigger risk is all of the smaller organizations you have given the information to over the years. Is this on paper in a filing cabinet at your now defunct former employer? Used car loan? On an old PC that was scrapped today?

You can't please everybody when change happens. Years ago my day job employer stopped handing out paper payroll checks and started direct deposit. 75 people were happy and one lady had a fit because the company could claw back any over payments.

If they had doubled everyone's salary, someone would have complained they would be in a higher tax bracket. Someone else would complain it would get garnished for back taxes, alimony, child support, a judgement or a lien.

I pay $12.95 a month for identity theft insurance through my Discover card. That is an unavoidable expense in this information age.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

There is risk in every little bit of information you hand out. Could be eBay that gets hacked, or even your wireless phone carrier.

If you ever become a victim of identity theft, there are ways to stop it such as getting a new SSN, etc.

I have had my data leaked so many times. Not surprised when Have I Been Pwned sends me yet another email. Funnily enough, one website I had an incorrect birthday on got leaked so now they have the joy of that. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I would be more concerned walking around with a smart phone tracking everything you do then eBay or its 3rd party money processors being breached. You are constantly being breached if you carry or use a smart phone.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I just had to stop selling when this all came out. Its over you just can't sell on here

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi @gratefulbear1223 

>>   How can I be sure eBay will not be breached ?  <<

You can’t … but you CAN gain confidence in your ability to handle the fallout if it does … and then go on with your life.

I’d estimate that 99.9% of what we worry about won’t happen.  The other .1% we’ll likely survive.  😊

Message 8 of 8
latest reply