cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS 1 Month Delayed Package Arrived - But Buyer is Already Refunded

So, I got hit with a really bad USPS delay. I thought they lost the package, but the buyer contacted me today and said they just received the item and would be happy to pay for it. (I had to refund because buyer opened a case and the deadline was like 2 weeks ago... I wanted to contact eBay to extend the deadline but could not find any contact information to help sellers).

I saw this info: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/get-help-item-hasnt-arrived?id=4042#:~:text=If%20yo...

It says, 

"If your item arrives after you've received a refund

It's possible that your item may still arrive after you've been issued a refund. If this happens, you should get in touch with the seller and try to reach an agreement on what to do next. You can choose to either:

• Return the item and keep the refund
  • Keep the item and arrange to reimburse the seller"

But it doesn't state HOW the buyer can reimburse the seller.

I do not see a contact number for eBay ANYWHERE. How can I call them (also need to get the late shipment removed because the buyer actually asked me to ship the item late since they were out of town - this is ON TOP of the 1 month delay).

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@dbs_merch 

Ask the buyer for their Pay Pal email and you can send them an invoice.

Or send your Pay Pal email and they can send you the funds.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

At least you have a honest buyer on your end that reached out and offered to pay, be thankful it will turned out positive to you. As previous poster suggested, just go through PayPal, and submit invoice from there, or see if they have Zelle, there are many other payment source, but PayPal will probably be the best. If they don't, see if they can send you a check. And thank them and tell them sorry that USPS botched their order. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Isnt it against eBay TOS to send any contact information or request to be paid outside of EBAY? I dont want to get banned

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Again, isnt this against TOS? I do managed payments so I dont have their paypal email address. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@dbs_merch 

Ask the buyer for their Pay Pal email and you can send them an invoice.

Or send your Pay Pal email and they can send you the funds.

Just for clarity, I think you have a little unintended error here.  It does not have to be a "PayPal email", the OP just needs to get the buyer's email address and then they can invoice the buyer through Paypal.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Again, it is against TOS to exchange contact info, is this not enforced for you? Because I have already received a warning for doing this in the past...

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@dbs_merch wrote:

Again, it is against TOS to exchange contact info, is this not enforced for you? Because I have already received a warning for doing this in the past...

It is just fine for trading partners to share contact information via email on a current transaction.  Ebay does allow this.  I've done it myself whenever I have had the need to without issue.  With that said I completely respect your reluctance because Ebay's published policies say we can not.  So I understand your concern.  Lets see if we can get a little help here to help you to be more comfortable in what I've stated.

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@dbs_merch wrote:

It is just fine for trading partners to share contact information via email on a current transaction.  Ebay does allow this.  I've done it myself whenever I have had the need to without issue.  With that said I completely respect your reluctance because Ebay's published policies say we can not.  So I understand your concern.  Lets see if we can get a little help here to help you to be more comfortable in what I've stated.

@tyler@e  

@jasmen@

@velvet@e

^^^^ good tag

response will be a good one to bookmark for reference in the future.

seems "blues" have told us it is OK in the past.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@dbs_merch wrote:

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

@mam98031 is spot on @dbs_merch ! Once two members are in a transaction, info can be shared. The idea is to not take transactions off-site where protections are missing, and you can go here for more on that. If you're already in a sale though, and need to work out a local pick-up, shipping issue, etc. then you would be good to exchange info at that point as it's allowing the two of you to complete the sale. I hope that helps to clarify things! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Thank you velvet@ebay , excellent information.  

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

And hopefully the "bots" understand this policy 😄  😁😆

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

And hopefully the "bots" understand this policy 😄  😁😆

I've had a few occasions to need this especially due to INRs in the current climate of USPS.  I've had several I've refunded and then days or weeks after the fact the item got delivered.   Buyers wanted to keep the item so the opted to repay me.  To do that I needed their email addresses so I could invoice them through PayPal.  I can only say that it has always worked fine for me.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

If there is a reason why you cannot use PayPal for invoicing the buyer or otherwise getting paid thru PayPal, here's another workaround that I've used successfully about a dozen times over the years:

1.   If the item is still up on eBay because you had multiples for sale, have the buyer purchase another one and pay for it. After he/she pays for it, go to the "Awaiting Shipping" item in your Seller Hub, and in the drop-down box select "Mark as Shipped"... Done!   You may get a minor demerit for not uploading tracking information, but that may be worth it if the item is worth it, and you sell enough so that an occasional such demerit won't really hurt you.

2.  If that buyer purchased the only item or the last one, coordinate with the buyer when you will relist it, and notify them when it is relisted. Then they can purchase it again in the same manner as above.

This was a life-saver for me this past Christmas season, when the USPS really screwed up and delayed deliveries that prompted about 6 buyers to receive their items after they were refunded thru an INR case.  It works like a charm, and all my buyers (the ones were honest, that is, and were willing to pay again) were happy that it was so easy to handle in this manner... The two that were dishonest and kept the item or ignored my eBay courteous messages to pay again, went right onto my Blocked Buyer List, so that they could not pull the same dishonest routine again.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

If there is a reason why you cannot use PayPal for invoicing the buyer or otherwise getting paid thru PayPal, here's another workaround that I've used successfully about a dozen times over the years:

1.   If the item is still up on eBay because you had multiples for sale, have the buyer purchase another one and pay for it. After he/she pays for it, go to the "Awaiting Shipping" item in your Seller Hub, and in the drop-down box select "Mark as Shipped"... Done!   You may get a minor demerit for not uploading tracking information, but that may be worth it if the item is worth it, and you sell enough so that an occasional such demerit won't really hurt you.

2.  If that buyer purchased the only item or the last one, coordinate with the buyer when you will relist it, and notify them when it is relisted. Then they can purchase it again in the same manner as above.

This was a life-saver for me this past Christmas season, when the USPS really screwed up and delayed deliveries that prompted about 6 buyers to receive their items after they were refunded thru an INR case.  It works like a charm, and all my buyers (the ones were honest, that is, and were willing to pay again) were happy that it was so easy to handle in this manner... The two that were dishonest and kept the item or ignored my eBay courteous messages to pay again, went right onto my Blocked Buyer List, so that they could not pull the same dishonest routine again.

Cheers, Duffy

That is dangerous and I would not be recommending that to anyone.  If some other buyer discovers that listing before your buyer gets to it, you've got a real problem now.  Besides it is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. 

Just ask for the buyer's email address and send them an invoice through PayPal.  Let them know to watch for the invoice from PayPal and to pay from that.  So simple and no risk to buyer or seller.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply