cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Great Transition

It has taken me 5 days to discover why I couldn't complete purchases with my credit card. 3 out of 4 where shown as error.

I thought it was me - after 18 years I'd never had this issue. I had conversations with B********card and they said it was eBay failing to complete.

So I waited until the chat support came online and the chap told me it was PayPal. I had to send a message they drafted for me to the sellers asking them to contact PayPal and sort it out. Several didn't believe me and said PayPal was fine.

One chat person even said that I should contact PayPal even though I don't have an account - clearly moron of the week.

Then on the 5th attempt to buy the seller said it was to do with eBay moving away from PayPal and requiring sellers to register a bank account. Even though she had don't this, I still can't pay.

Not being a seller I don't know what eBay told their clients (the sellers are clients as they pay eBay) but clearly the message was not very good.

I will know adopt the policy of asking every seller I want to buy from if they have registered their bank account with eBay. If they don't know what I'm talking about - goodbye.

As regard their chat service - I'll never trust them again.

So, if you are a seller and don't know what I'm talking about, ask eBay at once.

Good luck with that!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The Great Transition

That seller that said that to you about the new payment system Ebay is bringing to the site was completely wrong.  You do not have to be concerned about it at all as it isn't a factor with the issue you are having.

Just so that you know, you can checkout using PayPal as a Guest.  You do not have to set up an account if you don't want one.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The Great Transition

@johnrxx99 wrote:

It has taken me 5 days to discover why I couldn't complete purchases with my credit card. 3 out of 4 where shown as error.

Is it possible that purchasing on the USA site from the Philippines has something to do with it?

So I waited until the chat support came online and the chap told me it was PayPal. I had to send a message they drafted for me to the sellers asking them to contact PayPal and sort it out. Several didn't believe me and said PayPal was fine.

Actually, it was this support person who should get your m***n of the week award, not the other one. Sellers can't do anything about your card not working.

One chat person even said that I should contact PayPal even though I don't have an account - clearly moron of the week.

For sellers who are still having payments deposited in their PayPal account, your CC payment is passed from eBay to PayPal for processing, even though you don't have a PayPal account. So this person's advice was actually good.

Then on the 5th attempt to buy the seller said it was to do with eBay moving away from PayPal and requiring sellers to register a bank account. Even though she had don't this, I still can't pay.

Since the seller had already transitioned, but you still couldn't pay, that should have been a clue that the bank account registration, or lack thereof, was totally unrelated to your problem.

I will know adopt the policy of asking every seller I want to buy from if they have registered their bank account with eBay. If they don't know what I'm talking about - goodbye.

Well, that's completely the wrong thing to do, but whatever makes you happy.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply