cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller trying to scam me for a partial refund?

Hello. I had an issue with a purchase of a bicycle on eBay, it arrived with a damaged part. I tried to return it initially, but instead I agreed for a partial refund. The seller told me he can't me refund me on eBay, because money for this payment were frozen. I do not know whether that's true or not. So the seller suggested to send me the amount of partial refund via PayPal. In the attached screenshot he sent me, it says "Payment type: Goods and services". The payment is on hold, my email address was not confirmed on PayPal.. I clicked on "get the money sooner", and I confirmed it as services not needing tracking number (I assumed I made a big mistake here). I noticed something wrong with it only too late. Since it's proceeded as the seller actually paid me for some service, I assume he can open dispute in any moment, even though I am the buyer and that is supposed to be a partial refund. What should I do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, I was right and the seller is definitely a scammer who took multiple scamming attempts. 1) Wanted me to close the case before the refund. 2) Sent money as payment for some service to pretend as a buyer and claim this amount back from me. 3) In a PayPal dispute, offered me a partial refund with a shipping back to China. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hopefully, I was able to "refund" the seller for "a partial refund" he sent me and instead I started a proper dispute on a PayPal. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

actually, the seller was trying to refund you directly..  ebay's new managed payments doesn't really handle partial refunds well. I often can't even find the option.  The seller was absolutely not trying to scam you. He was doing what an ebay rep probably suggested he do..     manually refund the buyer through paypal

screen shot the refund from paypal and send it to ebay.. they will than manually release the other funds.

It's a huge headache.  Please don't blame the seller.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

wow.. i can't believe buyers are so quick to not believe the sellers.

If you aren't a regular ebay buyer, (based on your feedback it looks like you are new). please don't assume the worst.. This seller was doing everything possible to get the partial refund to you. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Unfortunately, I was right and the seller is definitely a scammer who took multiple scamming attempts. 1) Wanted me to close the case before the refund. 2) Sent money as payment for some service to pretend as a buyer and claim this amount back from me. 3) In a PayPal dispute, offered me a partial refund with a shipping back to China. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Just joined and unfortunately I was scammed before coming to this chat and reading this thread. To add insult to injury after reporting the reseller e-mail has placed my funds on hold

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Your funds are not on hold because you reported your buyer, your funds are on hold because you’re a new seller. 
Read Payouts On Hold policy

Also digging up a thread that’s  3 yrs old and also not related to your situation.

IMG_1134.png

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply