cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Paying with PayPal Credit on offers

So how can I buy an item and get financing for the buy it now price, but put in an offer and it will auto bill my credit card or PayPal linked bank account ? Why am I not getting the same financing options to do it if I put in an offer?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Same here.  eBay went through an update and won’t allow you to submit offers with PayPal Credit.  They claim it’s the seller that needs to adjust something but it’s eBay.  Even if you set PayPal to credit as the default, it will withdraw funds from whatever bank account it’s tied to. The only work around I can think of is message the seller and if you agree to a price, ask the seller to lower the price to “buy it now”  I just sold a watch and did it for a buyer.  It’s annoying and eBay/PayPal missing out on some purchases.  

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yep, driving me crazy.  Why should I have to choose my payment method before having my offer accepted, anyway?  I don't want money automatically taken out from any of my accounts without my approval.  I often change which funding source I want to use according to what is most favorable at that time.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Im trying to see if this issue was resolved because ive been dealing with same issue. Iwho doesn’t want to use special financing option if it was doable? I hope ebay fix this matter. Or keep losing sales

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Yes, I just spoke to a rep about this. She said that sellers were complaining about not getting paid. She mentioned sellers are the ones to adjust it in settings. There is not setting to adjust this, its EBAY. They need to fix this because alot of sales will be lost due to you have no control on where your money will debited. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Having the same issue. Charged my credit card and didn't realize because when you make the offer you can only see PayPal and the rest doesn't fit on the screen, but it was originally set to PP Credit and eBay changed it. My PayPal preferred payment is set to PP Credit. There is no other setting. If you delete the payment method on file and add it again, you cannot choose PP Credit. You can only choose other payment methods you have on file with PayPal. Fix it eBay, it's 2023 not 1923. Things like this shouldn't be happening, unless done on purpose. No more Best Offers for me for a while.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It is now Jan 3, 2024, and they are still doing this. It has not been fixed. Now if I want to buy it now I could buy it with PayPal credit but if I want to put in an offer it won’t allow me to chose PayPal credit even though it does allow me to pick other options when I log into the PayPal account just PayPal credit is not listed only my checking and credit/debit are. I already lost out on being able to buy something I really wanted because of this and possibly a second item as this is ridiculous. PayPal Credit pays just like the other credit on eBay so their reasoning for not making it automatic is mute. And taking it away does limit buyers from being able to afford things they can’t otherwise. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yep, I passed up buying an item this evening because of this issue. This is a bit silly and needs fixed.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Still a thing as of Feb. 11.  Wow. I guess I'm done with making offers on eBay. What a bunch of asshats.

I'm familiar with being unable to purchase via PayPal credit when a seller doesn't choose that as an option. But, when a seller doesn't choose that as an option, it doesn't show up in the listing. The thing I'm trying to make an offer on does, in fact, have PayPal credit (no interest for 6 months on 99 and up) right there in the listing. But nothing I can do lets me use PayPal credit. I even tried deleting all my credit cards from eBay, and it just defaults to hitting my bank account via PayPal, the worst possible solution.

I guess I'm done with offers. This will greatly cut down on my use of eBay. Offers are such a great way to buy, but not if I can't leverage the combination of PayPal credit and PayPal's buyer safety.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

yup! had a PayPal promo for 24 months it expired yesterday. i tired to get the seller to change the buy it now price buy today is too late as the purchase was for 2100.00 over 24 months now when the seller emails me back it will be 2100 over 6 months if he changes his buy it now price. its crazy that this is happening i would imagine thee are losing sales.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Same boat.  I've just stopped making offers. I go to other resale sites and purchase there instead. Most things are cross posted these days. Ebay definitely losing sales from this. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Had the same issue, when making an offer with paypal no choice on payment and it billed my bank which was not expected. I removed any auto bill agreement with paypal but if I now try to use paypal on an offer paypal credit does not show up. Fix this eBay!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Similar situation happened to me tonight. I made a purchase using BIN, and selected PayPal as my payment method. I was expecting to be taken to PayPal's interface to select which funding method I wanted to use (on file with PayPal). I wanted to use PayPal's pay in 4 (which is a type of credit), but didn't even get the chance. Instead, Ebay just charged Paypal behind my back, which PayPal then pulled the entire amount from my linked bank account. How stupid.

Fortunately, I can afford to pay it, I just wanted a little cushion of a few weeks. But, Ebay's interface just asked me to provide feedback on my experience, and I gave them a treatise on just how unhelpful this was, and that I now have less incentive to buy on Ebay, especially when so many items are cross-listed on other sites anyway.

Sorry, Ebay, you're slipping, and need to give people what they want, not what you think they should want.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

For everyone who has replied to this with frustration, it is now April 2024 and the same problem persists. I was on the buying end, made an offer and realized PP Credit was not an option. Not happy with this situation at all. Done with eBay going forward. I feel bad for the people who rely on this antiquated app for business. I will switch to selling my items through other online retailers and take advantage of the very large Facebook Marketplace audience I have access to. It has been fun, but it’s time to move forward with the times. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@maraxusofkeld wrote:

So how can I buy an item and get financing for the buy it now price, but put in an offer and it will auto bill my credit card or PayPal linked bank account ?

Why am I not getting the same financing options to do it if I put in an offer? 

To do that, you need to first be a deadbeat: Add a single card (remove everything else) as your default payment method. Do not add PayPal as your default payment method, but a card that won't cover even $1.

kako_5344_0-1713257997621.jpeg

Then when your offer is accepted, eBay will tell you that your payment failed, and you'll have to check out with another payment method such as another card, Pay in 4, PayPal Credit, etc. as per normal.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply