cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now I'm really confused about Managed Payments.

In July, I was told I was being forced into managed payments.   I spoke w three Ebay MP reps, and told all three I didn't trust Ebay to manage my money and wouldn't go into MP.   In August, I didn't renew my store and in the beginning of Sept, I was required to sign up, I didn't. 

I removed all my listings, and on Oct 1, paid my final Ebay seller fees.   Now, here's my confusion.

Around the middle of Sept, I was contacted from a family member about selling on Ebay.  This person sells on Etsy, Mercari and Offer up and wanted to add Ebay.   I told them my opinion of MP.  

They opened a new account on Ebay.  To OUR surprise, Ebay required them to open a PAYPAL account.  I spoke with them yesterday, and they've received no mention of MP.  

It seems to me that if Ebay wanted all sellers in MP, they would automatically require new sellers to start  with MP, but in this case, they didn't.   This makes no sense to me.    I realize coin sellers and a few other categories aren't supported in MP, this seller doesn't fit those exempted categories.   

I hold out hope that Ebay will reverse their course and give sellers a choice between MP and Paypal.  Knowing Ebay and how greedy this company is, it likely won't happen, but I hold out hope.  

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I haven't seen any reports of new sellers starting out with Managed Payments, so I don't think this is surprising.

Etsy payments are managed by the same company that does ebay MP, so your family member apparently already has positive experience with them.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@kyleespapa 

Eventually all new accounts will have to use MP too.  

Ebay isn't handling the funds, Adyen is. They also process funds for Etsy and Mercari among many other major companies

https://www.adyen.com/customers

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 3
latest reply