cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made offer, ebay automatically charges credit card !!@$#!$"#

I do not understand how making an offer can give ebay the right to charge my cc if seller accepts.  That should never be allowed and I would never agree to that.  I decide when my card is charged! 

Consider if your making offers (not bids) on multiple same items, or maybe items that are close to the same, old model newer model, trying to get a good price, and three offers are accepted, eBay is going to CHARGE YOUR CARD WITHOUT YOUR AUTHORIZATION for all 3 of same item, buying all three of the same item.  That is ridiculously stupid policy change.   I don't see how this is possible.  No wear did I agree to that and it happened today.  Checked my offers and one already shipped without my knowledge and the newer model was the better deal for only a little more money.

Buyer beware!  This is **bleep**!

I still don't even see where it says this on the offer side.

The reason ebay told me is because people make offers and don't pay.  That is **bleep** also,  a simple communication "I retract my offer, or just purchased elsewhere message should be good.  Cause this is an offer not a bid!  "make offer!"

Anyone else have thoughts on this!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Prior to you sending any offers, there is a prompt that you must agree to in order for ebay to charge your card upon acceptance of an offer. You may have agreed without reading it in full. Every buyer receives this at some point when adding payment details or when trying to purchase items.

I hope that is helpful.

You can also reach out to the seller to cancel but some sellers will not extend that as it is not required of sellers to do. That would be your next option.

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

In addition to what was stated above, I'll add another point. 

Whether being charge immediately or making payment later, when making an offer, you are agreeing to complete the purchase if your offer is accepted. And since so many buyers weren't following through on their obligations, ebay made it so now, sellers will be paid and can avoid non-payers.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

This practice of making several offers and only accepting the best one and not paying for the others is the very reason eBay implemented this new payment plan.  When you make an offer, it is an intent to buy.  Far too many buyers do not pay after a seller accepts their offer.  Then they must wait 4 days to cancel the transaction before relisting. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

@vaz019 -  my thoughts on this is,  you are the type of buyer that made this change happen.

Every "offer" and "bid" is binding.
Its not "offer" and the pick which you really want. 

Doing what you are doing causes multiple sellers to stop and look to see IF they can accommodate your offer. 

If all 3 approve the offer, then they sit and wait for you to decide  if you want to pay for any.

If you chose 1 to pay then the other 2 have their items off market for 4 days until they can give you an unpaid item strike. 

Thanks for posting!   

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for posting!   

@klhmdg 

Whoops! There goes another ruBBer tree pLant!!!

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

My thoughts are that I don't understand what your complaint is.

Common sense is that an offer is an agreement that you will buy it if they meet your offer price.
The seller accepts your offer, and then you complain about that?
Also you complain because they ship it quickly?

Advice: Don't offer unless you intend to buy it. Then be happy they ship it fast.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

I understand, so let me ask this, the way this sounds is that a seller can only accept one offer.  That is why you all are saying this is a buyer/paying problem.  Sorry I don't sell much.

If you could approve multiple offers then the first person who pays gets the prize.  You snooze you loose.  This sounds like once you accept an offer the item is off the market, but it shouldn't be until payment is received

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@vaz019 wrote:

I understand, so let me ask this, the way this sounds is that a seller can only accept one offer.  That is why you all are saying this is a buyer/paying problem.  Sorry I don't sell much.

If you could approve multiple offers then the first person who pays gets the prize.  You snooze you loose.  This sounds like once you accept an offer the item is off the market, but it shouldn't be until payment is received

@vaz019 The system doesn't work that way.  Once an offer is accepted, it is off the market.  Then we have to wait 4 days before we can cancel the transaction and relist.  If we cancel before that, someone else can buy it, but the original buyer could also pay.  This creates 2 sales for 1 item.  Nightmare!  Then the seller is penalized for cancelling a paid order.  Sorry, but this is the way it works.  I actually like your idea better--first person to pay gets it, but we don't have a screen for that.  Just paid and ready to ship or unpaid waiting for payment. 

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

Offer and bid are not the same.  Offer is in a for sale scenario, a bid is for an auction.  Two completely different processes.  Bid is intant to pay and someones bid will end it.  An Offer starts the process.  

If you as a seller can only accept one offer, as you say then your "item is off the market" then there is your problem.  I dont sell a lot.

You should be able to  accept multiple offers and who pays first gets the prize.   You say it's a buyer payment problem, But you don't have to reply to an offer either.  So when that happens I'm not going to stop shopping....and wait for 4 days.  

That's what it is shopping

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Ahh hah.  That makes sense now.

That's messed up!  No wonder.

Appreciate the info

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

No problem.  Only sellers would know this.  

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

indeed. esp where shipping is involved ebay helpfully pays full shipping on all the items involved if there are multiples. you have anywhere from 4 to 30 days to pay contingent on seller. on a bonafide auction. why is an 'offer' paid upfront . what a jerk move by ebay i guess it wants maximum fees..  as soon as possible. not a good sign for a mere 20% it will screw you out of combined shipping savings worth a lot more to you

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

not true, this is a 'folk tale' 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

its clear that you have given this much thought. 

Message 15 of 39
latest reply