cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funds on hold awaiting authentication refund?

A buyer asked to cancel an order but the funds are on hold until the authenticity guaranteed receives the item. He has been sending me numerous messages through my other active listings saying he wants to cancel the order and get a refund before I ship, and so I decided that I didnt want to ship to someone who is already going to make this a difficult transaction and decided to find a new buyer.

If I choose “Send refund” it says its going to refund him based on my available balance, but since under my “Payments” tab, it shows the funds are “On Hold” and my “Available Funds” are $0.00, does this mean they are gonna charge the amount on my card? I do see the funds under “Your Total Funds” at the top though.  Would it deduct from this?  How do I deal with not having to ship to the authenticator to release the funds and refund the buyer instead, so they can release the funds back to the buyer without having my card charged for the amount while its on hold? Do I need to wait until he opens an “Item Not Received” case for me to choose the refund option or would choosing the “Send Refund” option on the listing right now issue him the refund and deduct from the funds that are on hold?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

You still have not sent the item to the authenticator yet?  See if it's possible to cancel the transaction BECAUSE THE BUYER REQUESTED IT.     I don't know if the funds come from the frozen funds or your backup source.  How much was the amount?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I have not shipped to the authenticator yet.  Buyer wants to cancel but on the “Cancel Details” it says “We let the buyer know that you can’t cancel this order”.  I can still click the “Send refund” link on the listing, which allows me to fully refund him.  But it says ”We will deduct the total amount from your funds available for payout. If those funds are insufficient, you authorize us to charge the balance to your bank.” I don’t want to be charged because I have $0.00 available funds.  But I see the funds under “On hold $265. These funds are on hold while we're confirming shipping details or resolving disputes. They aren't part of your processing or available funds.” So the funds won’t be released to my available payout until the authenticator receives the item, but I prefer not to waste both of our times and shipping to him for him to only put open a claim after receiving the item since he is already sending me messages for a refund now.  

I also told him he can open an “Item not received” case since I won’t ship the item to him, then eBay will give me an option to fully refund him to close the case, which should deduct the funds from my on hold amount.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

If no one responds with an answer to this problem, I suggest that you contact Ebay on Facebook.  When you find the page, you click MESSAGE and you message ebay privately about this issue. Obviously, if you do not have the funds, you can't refund now.   Ask the question and tell them your Ebay ID,  email address and the item #.  In the meantime, explain to the buyer that right now,  your hands are tied until someone from ebay contacts you.  Let them know that you are holding the item for the time being.

Is it possible for you get a friend or family member to lend you the money and you deposit it tomorrow? Ask for at least 1 dollar more because when you do a refund, ebay always keeps 30 cents.  Or can you link a credit card to the account and ebay can pull the refund from that credit card?  

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

If the funds are being held, you have to cover the refund.

When the funds are avaliable, they will be sent to your checking account.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

So in that case, would it be best to wait for the buyer to open an item not received claim so that way the authenticator releases the funds back to him? 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I just need confirmation that if I send him a refund now, then I won’t be obligated to ship the item to authenticators anymore and they release the funds on hold back to him.

I don’t want to refund him from my bank and I still have funds on hold awaiting authentication, because then they’re never going to receive the item, so the funds won’t ever be released to me.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Sounds like a simple cancelation (Buyer request) as the reason.

I think full refund and all would be returned besides the tax if any.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I’m getting this message when I click “Cancel order” on my end

IMG_3135.jpeg

IMG_3134.jpeg

i can still click on “send refund” and get this

IMG_3136.jpeg

however I am cautious because since the funds are “on hold waiting authentication”, if the authenticators never receive my shipment, then they never release the funds to me. So essentially I’d be paying the buyer from my bank out of my own money and never get the funds on my account released to me.  So I’m trying to figure out how to proceed from here

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@xas0n 

You must have the money in your checking account or available on your credit card. 
You refund the buyer and wait for their payment to be released. 

There is no loophole that gives extra time if they claim the item never arrived. 

Always keep enough funds in your checking account to cover a full refund of the most expensive item you sold in the last six months. 

As was already pointed out, even if you have to borrow the money, you must have enough to cover this refund. If eBay has to step in, your seller metrics will take a hit. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@dryophelia 

You refund the buyer and wait for their payment to be released.”

That’s my problem here, these funds on hold will never be released and paid out to me since the authenticators won’t receive the item, it says the funds are on hold and will be released after its verified. So if the refund is charged from my checkings and I don’t ship, then how can I get these funds on hold to be released if the authenticators never receiving the item to verify?

IMG_3141.jpeg

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

So the buyer already canceled the order?..

Or did you already cancel?

I would not click anything. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Ok had to loop around on that a few to load..

So you canceled,  at the buyer request..

Did you click the give full refund box when doing so?

I would just wait a day or so and see if it shows up in transactions. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@anjofak the buyer requested to cancel but originally I declined. Then he continued to send numerous messages to me asking for a refund and don’t ship him the item because he has buyers remorse, so since I didn’t even ship the item to him yet, I would rather just give him a full refund so I don’t have to deal with this buyer already giving me a hard time and risk him opening an INAD case and returning the item for a refund plus shipping back to me anyways.

I’m just not sure how to proceed since the funds held until verification, so say I refund him now using my bank, and my item never ships to verification, then they never release the funds to me?

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@xas0n wrote:

So in that case, would it be best to wait for the buyer to open an item not received claim so that way the authenticator releases the funds back to him? 

It doesn't matter if you refund now or later, if you don't ship, the hold won't be released on the funds, so you'll still have to cover the refund.

Have a great day.
Message 15 of 20
latest reply