cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fees on shipping refunds

Fees are taken on sales tax, shipping and item.  My question is that if an honest ebay seller is giving refunds on shipping that was overpaid by the buyer, why isn't ebay refunding the fee for that amount if they are taking fees on shipping.  What entitles ebay to charges fees on shipping charges anyhow?  It basically is just giving back to them the shipping discount they are giving to us

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fees on shipping refunds

Ebay has never done that on these types of refunds.  They use to allow us to call CS and get the refund on fees, but they no longer allow that.  Sellers have been asking for a way to do this and get their FVF refunds for years.  It would appear since all these requests are ignored, it isn't likely to happen.  So when you refund your buyers you should tell them that you will refund them for what you can for the overpayment but not for any non refundable fees.  That is what I've done for years.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Fees on shipping refunds

Ebay's published policy indicates that those fees are not refunded. I don't think anyone involved in the crafting of those policies will be reading this forum so the question will probably not be answered here.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Fees on shipping refunds

In answer to the one actual question you asked: why charge on shipping fees:

This is why

A user could list an item at say ten cents: and charge 1000 dollars for shipping to by pass eBay fees.

So eBay had to start charging for all of the sale:

Now you also know that the final value fee is charged on this:

Item cost+ shipping + taxes if any: then the final value fee is calculated + the 30 cents.

Just in case you and other don't know.. Just saying.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Fees on shipping refunds

its a good idea to charge more for shipping than it costs you

I need to raise shipping prices charged at least 15% because that is what ebay charges me in final value fees

if it cost you $4 to ship and the buyer paid $5 then you are already losing money on shipping

I like  to hit the buyer up for plenty of shipping but I only charge $5

when its a 6 ounce package and the cost is $3.65 you dont think I am making money do you?

all those fees are going in ebays pockets..not mine and not the buyers

if you are not making money form shipping then you are losing it thru fees

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Fees on shipping refunds

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

Ebay's published policy indicates that those fees are not refunded. I don't think anyone involved in the crafting of those policies will be reading this forum so the question will probably not be answered here.

@crazystuff4sale 

You are correct, because this is a Member to Member forum and always has been.  It is not a form of CS by Ebay.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Fees on shipping refunds

Ebay has never done that on these types of refunds.  They use to allow us to call CS and get the refund on fees, but they no longer allow that.  Sellers have been asking for a way to do this and get their FVF refunds for years.  It would appear since all these requests are ignored, it isn't likely to happen.  So when you refund your buyers you should tell them that you will refund them for what you can for the overpayment but not for any non refundable fees.  That is what I've done for years.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Fees on shipping refunds

i understand the necessity for fees on shipping.  as it is, buyers complain about high shipping when i’m charging actual shipping cost and not padding it to compensate for fees.  i don’t want to overcharge and “punish” a customer simply because ebay implemented the change to avoid penny sellers from getting charged final value fees.  my question was more of a comment.  If they refund back the fees when an item is cancelled then they should apply the same credit to shipping that is refunded.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Fees on shipping refunds

@littlehouseofplenty wrote:

i understand the necessity for fees on shipping.  as it is, buyers complain about high shipping when i’m charging actual shipping cost and not padding it to compensate for fees.  i don’t want to overcharge and “punish” a customer simply because ebay implemented the change to avoid penny sellers from getting charged final value fees.  my question was more of a comment.  If they refund back the fees when an item is cancelled then they should apply the same credit to shipping that is refunded.  

But your two examples are NOT the same.  A full refund and a partial refund are not treated the same and never have been.  You would think after 26 years in business they would have figured out a way to allow us to have partial FVF refunds too and it is likely they know how to do it but just won't offer it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply