cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain why ebay is charging a Final Value Fee twice for a single sale?

I recently sold a video game console for $355. My payout was less than $242. Curious, I went to the history for that sale and it shows fees charged twice:

The first fee is shown on the same line and deducted from the sale itself, $50.47. Then there's a separate line the next day for a Final Value Fee of $47.04:

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 8.26.17 AM.png

When I go into the detail for the first line item (sale - fee), it's also labeled as the Final Value Fee!

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 8.26.34 AM.png

What is going on?? I know there are sometimes insertion fees, but that's after selling 250 items a month, and this is #5 for me.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Can someone explain why ebay is charging a Final Value Fee twice for a single sale?

You'll need to cancel the original sale, citing 'Buyer didn't pay'. Your fees will be reversed on that transaction.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Please post a screenshot of what you're seeing.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Updated! Converted the links to inline screenshots.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

That shows 2 different item numbers. You listed and sold the item twice. Therefore, 2 fees.

Checking your sold listings confirms as much:

camryniv-sales.png

These were auction format listings. It appears the Dec 10 sale was paid for on Dec 10, and the Nov 29 sale was paid for on Dec 11.

I assume this was an error on your part, relisting without first cancelling the original sale?

At this point you have to ship to one buyer and cancel using out of stock for another buyer, unless you have 2 identical items to ship.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

So the first sale was sniped by someone with 0 buy/sell history, didn't respond to any messages from me, and didn't pay within the four days that ebay says to wait before re-listing. So I re-listed the following week and it sold and the person paid minutes later.

So I was charged a fee for the first sale even though I was never paid? Looking through my history since listing the first item, there's only a single "Order" item of me getting paid...

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Looking at your sales history, it looks like you sold that item twice. The first time was an auction, then it was relisted and sold again in another auction, for the same price each time.

Nov 29, 2023:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/256310884044

Dec 10, 2023: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256329179090

It only shows up once in Terapeak, the second auction that ended Dec. 10, 2023.

Your first screenshot shows the first item number, but your second screenshot shows the second item number. So the 2 sets of fees are for the 2 different items.

The first screenshot is showing fees associated with the first auction (ended Nov 29) but the date on the fees is Dec 11. Is it possible that the first buyer paid for their auction, almost 2 weeks later?

By any chance, did the first auction show "payment pending" at any point? (If so, that might explain what happened, so please let us know.)

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

You'll need to cancel the original sale, citing 'Buyer didn't pay'. Your fees will be reversed on that transaction.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

You need to cancel the first sale. There should have been an option to cancel/relist in one step, with confirmation that your fees would be refunded. It looks like the item was instead just relisted, leaving the first sale open. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Ahhh there we go, I didn't have the option to cancel the first one at the time, after waiting the four days, but now it's available. Okay so item xxx44 is canceled and item xxx90 is the proper one, sold, tracking number attached. 

Thanks everyone! This was a million times easier than trying to trying to get support from actual eBay!! Everyone's answer helped me get there, but @mtgraves7984 was the one that set off the lightbulb over my head. 🙂

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@camryniv wrote:

Ahhh there we go, I didn't have the option to cancel the first one at the time, after waiting the four days, but now it's available. Okay so item xxx44 is canceled and item xxx90 is the proper one, sold, tracking number attached. 

Thanks everyone! This was a million times easier than trying to trying to get support from actual eBay!!

By any chance, did the payment for the first auction show "payment pending" at any point?

I'm trying to follow up and confirm a theory about how this might have happened.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Thanks everyone! This was a million times easier than trying to trying to get support from actual eBay!!

@camryniv 

You can say that again! You are very welcome to stop by any time! 😊

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Last I knew, with MP,  no fees were assessed until payment is made. Has that changed???

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

By any chance, did the payment for the first auction show "payment pending" at any point?

I'm trying to follow up and confirm a theory about how this might have happened.

I can't be 100% sure about that, sorry. I just remember waiting around, contacting the person, and never hearing back, but there was a blue banner across the top of the item detail page offering to Relist so that's what I did (I thought it was weird that you could Relist an item that eBay thinks was sold, but 🤷‍♂️).

The status now says "Shipped" on the item I canceled, which definitely isn't right, as it doesn't show the tracking info I added to the correct order:

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 8.55.12 AM.png

Even though the items have two different item numbers, it's like eBay is sharing *some* information between the two (like whether it was shipped or not). eBay is so old I didn't imagine it could still have bugs like that, so I just assumed I did something wrong? But can you even mark an item as shipped without adding a tracking number?

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Last I knew, with MP,  no fees were assessed until payment is made. Has that changed???

@buyselljack2016 

You know... I have no idea. I haven't had a non-payer in forever. Now there's a dark bulb over my head... 😑

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

You can see with my full history on both items, I only have one line that shows me receiving any funds!

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 8.40.28 AM.png

Message 15 of 31
latest reply