cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opened payment dispute, but Ebay says ship?

Howdy all!

My buyer opened a payment dispute with Paypal because he "didn't recognize the transaction", so Ebay has placed the funds on hold, and I accepted the dispute and am waiting to see what happens next.  But on my orders page it still says paid, ship TODAY.  I can't ship obviously till it gets resolved, but I don't want to get a ding for not uploading tracking on time (finally got it back up to 100%!).  He's written me numerous times explaining it was a mistake, he wants the item, so I can't really cancel it with "buyer request", because should they ask him he will say he did not wish to cancel...so not sure what to do.  What would YOU do???

-Dippity

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Sounds like a debit or credit card dispute he did with his banking institution...only my opinion.

I would not ship it...my opinion only also. Which means buyer keeps item plus doesn't pay for it.

Sellers usually do not win in a dispute like this. Your items are not cheap. If it was a few dollars I wouldn't do anything. Considering he is answering your emails is rather strange. I had this problem after I mailed an item and lost. Check his feedback...if any. Its not mistake...debit or credit card banking institutions don't usually make a mistake.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Hiya jamesstamps, yes, the buyer acknowledges he made a mistake, and feels badly, but my dilema is based on the fact that Ebay says I still need to ship it today, even though there is a dispute and my funds are on hold.  If I don't ship, I get a ding, if I cancel, I might get a ding.  Not sure what to do.  Dang if I do and dang if I don't! 

-Dippity 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place because you are correct that the buyer is NOT wanting to cancel according to ebay messages which ebay uses to determine if it was valid reason to cancel.

So using " buyer requested" would violate policy.

Ebay should have a special reason to cancel for this exact scenario because it currently leaves the seller out in the cold. I mean what reason would you even be able to use to cancel and refund the buyer from ebay's limited choices. Using out of stock is also the wrong choice.

janet9988_0-1661307559267.png

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Hold the phone... your buyer doesn't recognize the transaction, but your buyer still wants it? That's messed up...

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Tell the buyer that if he wants the item, clearly it's not a mistake and he needs to cancel the dispute with his c.c. company! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Tell the buyer the only way to fix this is if he requests to cancel the transaction and you start over. This way you can cancel at buyers request, he gets refund and you don't get dinged. The have him rebuy the item.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Be careful here. This buyer has opened a payment dispute which I think you mean he or she has gone to their credit card to chargeback this order. You cannot ship this with this going on. Call ebay and ask them how to proceed with this if you are unsure. The buyer will get a free item on you with this chargeback. I would totally cancel this transaction.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Yeah it’s a messed up scammer perhaps.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Did you actually speak with someone at ebay or are you just looking at the item and seeing the ok to ship thingy. YOU ARE NOT OK TO SHIP AN ITEM THAT HAS A PAYMENT DISPUTE., do not ship this item. Again, call ebay and find out what needs to be done.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

At this point you may not even be communicating with the right person who is telling you that they made a mistake. Somebody opened a dispute on this transaction and it might not be the one who wants you to ship it anyway. Something is seriously wrong with this transaction.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Thanks everyone!  It is an odd predicament, to be sure.  I think he had a knee-jerk reaction when he saw the payment on Paypal and forgot he'd ordered my item...and he has been adamant that he still wants it, and says that Paypal has cancelled his refund request and it will take about 24 hours for PAypal to fix with Ebay.  i explained to him that I have to wait for Ebay to tell me what to do.  Which I am wondering if they will?  They have the funds on hold,  but in the "awaiting payment" page it does not show up, it still says I need to ship it today, there is no indication on the order page that the item is in hold status or anything like that.  After I accepted his dispute, I haven't heard anything since from Ebay regarding it.  

It seems there should be an "on hold" for shipping requirements for items on dispute to protect the seller.  I don't want to get the ding for not having shipped it today.  I suppose I may be able to get it removed, but that sounds like a backwards bit of work, to me.

-Dippity

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

P.S....ok, I just found a page that references the dispute, and it says it is "status open- no action required", and also says once Ebay hears from the buyer's payment institution it will make a decision.  Sometimes, despite being on Ebay for 23 years, I still have trouble finding some of the pages and info needed.  I do so appreciate everyone's input though, thanks so much !!!  When you are freaking out, it sure helps to hear input from others! 😊

-Dippity

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Still no resolution on this issue, and my buyer has become THE MOST annoying pest, from insisting that Paypal says it is ok for me to ship now, to my needing to call Ebay to sort it out as that's what the Ebay rep told him I need to do (all this in 4-6 emails to me!).  I explained that I don't need to do a single thing until Ebay notifies me of their decision on his dispute case, and I suggested he relax and have some patience, but apparently, he isn't interested in that!  I've been nothing but calm, kind and patient, but at this point I REALLY want to cancel the order, and indeed, it shows now that I am LATE on SHIPPING the dang item, so will have to call Ebay at some point (against my will) to have the late shipping ding removed.  Can buyers leave negative feedback on cancelled items?  I think he would leave negative now even if I ship, because I'm refusing to call Ebay to sort out HIS PROBLEM.

-Dippity

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I would have cancelled at buyer's request and sent the buyer a message. 

"Since you filed a CC chargeback on this transaction your order is cancelled" 

I would have blocked the buyer and moved on.  If eBay saw your note to the buyer, they are not going to charge a defect on your account. Not that they are going to look at it anyways.

Sheesh, should have been done with this yesterday. 

You are not getting anything but a bunch of **bleep** from this buyer.

Posting ID
Message 15 of 18
latest reply