cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

I thought it was 21%, anyway.....:O

Tomorrow it'll be 35%. By next week, you'll have to give eBay your first-born if you want to sell. 😉

Have your fun, OMA, but there are people who read these threads because they're trying to decide whether they should sell those "musical instruments, computers, and antiques" (you know; the people you claim to be defending). Throwing around BS fee numbers doesn't help them at all, because they don't know you're just being a tool. They may even want to "sell a Bunch of crap at $12 a pop" to see how things work before listing that valuable guitar. And eBay will only charge them $1.05 to do it. Wow, what a conspiracy.
Message 106 of 356
latest reply

They may even want to "sell a Bunch of crap at $12 a pop" to see how things work before listing that valuable guitar. And eBay will only charge them $1.05 to do it. Wow, what a conspiracy.

Not counting extra photos and PayPal costs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 107 of 356
latest reply

and PayPal costs.

Right, which brings the total cost to 12%.
Message 108 of 356
latest reply

myronann, so would you say the free listings are a tool to get unsuspecting sellers to fall for it then they get socked with a higher FVF after a certain dollar amount? sounds more like a marketing scam to me.

Yeah, they should definitely explain the FVFs sliding scale, and how it is more expensive to use the free listing fees if the final price of the item ends up being more than $35.

But for the ones who do know that, they can plan accordingly, like I'm going to. (I have used the free listing thing so far, because of what I said before, but I have downloaded Turbo-Lister and played around with it, and it looks almost as easy as the SYI form.) Last auction, I got $12 for a little thingie I paid 25 cents for at a garage sale (which I've been going to for years just for fun, anyway)....ebay took $1.05 and PP took 65 cents. According to my calcuations (IF I did it right), that's 14.6%. I'm ok with that.

I would never have been able to come up with the computer programs that ebay and PP provide me, nor would I have ever been able to have my item seen by people all across the country, without ebay.

I've said before....my mom has a booth in an antique mall/flea market....they charge her $50/month rent, and then take another 10% of her sales. Nothing sells one month?....still pay the rent. Only $50 worth of stuff sells one month?....in the hole.
Lots of trouble to mark and display stuff, too, keep the booth looking nice, etc.

I'm happy so far with how things are going for me on ebay. I may change my tune the first time I get a deadbeat and PP decides in their favor X-(, but as far as the fees go, I guess I think they're reasonable.
Message 109 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
Have you ever sold any items on ebay strangelove?
Message 110 of 356
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast
Ok, this has nothing to do with anything, but every time I see strangelove, I think strangeGLOVE and it makes me laugh.
Message 111 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
Ok, this has nothing to do with anything, but every time I see strangelove, I think strangeGLOVE and it makes me laugh.

You too, Kelda? And I thought I was the only one! :^O

Something pretty neat happened today. I went to the SPCA thrift shop and when I walked in the woman at the counter said, "You're the Mad Hatter!". Seems I left a business card there a year ago and she put me on her "Favorite Sellers' list...she even remembered some stuff I forgot I'd listed. Maybe this Mad Hatter persona is starting to pay off...well, I can hope, can't I? 😉
Photobucket
Message 112 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
I saw your name on a billboard riding into chicago last weekend hatter! your nationwide! hehehehhe
Message 113 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
strangeglove? i am missing that one?
Message 114 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
strangeglove? i am missing that one?

It's just a trick your eyes play on you...nothing else.

Clayjo...It's weird but the business cards seem to work. I carry them w/ me and give them out when I go to yard sales. Last summer I had about a half dozen people contact me for 'private showings' before they put stuff out to the public.
Photobucket
Message 115 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
wow hatter! it sounds like your onto something! i must have went to a 1000 yard sales last season maybe even more? being the 1st person at these things is a huge advantage! i live in a area where there are tons and tons of them every weekend when it is warm out.
Message 116 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
You're lucky, Clayjo. Out here there may be 3 or 4 dozen on any given weekend...and believe me, they are spread far apart...so any little advantage helps. The good part is it's an old, established county, so there's always good stuff to be found. And nearly every town has a 'town-wide' sale where you can find lots of good stuff.
Photobucket
Message 117 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
town wides are big here also hatter. i guess the wife and I are very lucky because we have so many venues to find stuff. we just started last february and our house, basement, garage is packed with items.
Message 118 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
There's one town near here...well, near by our standards...it's about 30 miles away...maybe 20,000 people and I'd swear there isn't a house built after 1920 and most of them Victorians built before 1900 with all the gingerbread trim. You wouldn't believe some of the old stuff you can find there!

They have 2 town-wides, one in May and another in October. It's really pretty cool...the town treats it like a festival. The town square is turned into a picnic area...no vendors hawking stuff, just the locals providing homemade eats and drinks to anyone passing by who wants to rest or chat or munch. I've never seen anything like it before and make a point of going to at least one of them every year.
Photobucket
Message 119 of 356
latest reply

Have you ever sold any items on ebay strangelove?

Yes, I have a separate ID for selling.
Message 120 of 356
latest reply