Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I receive social disability is it at risk by selling on eBay

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Most people here won't know the answer, so my suggestion is to go to the website or call your rep and check.  It's good you're asking!  Best of luck!

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

The profit you make does count as income.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

What is social disability and from whom is it received?  

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

I suggest this year that you watch you sales more closely and list fewer items. 

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about last year. 

Just my two cents. 

Penny. 

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@lglass59 

Are you on SSDI?  If you are, be careful.  Sales from Ebay is taxable income. I have a neighbor who was removed from SSDI because she was also working full time off the books.  Someone turned her in to SS.  It was by her ex husband.   Again, be careful. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

If you are speaking of Social Security retirement benefits, I believe there are limits on how much you can earn from other sources (a "regular" job or selling on eBay, for example) before the Social Security retirement benefit is reduced.  I don't know what those are though.  

The website for the Social Security Administration is www.ssa.gov.   In addition to retirement benefits, you can also find info there about Social Security's disability benefits and Supplemental Security Income.  

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I want to add something else for the OP to be aware of, if he/she isn't already.  
We're all still watching all our pennies and nickels and dimes very carefully.   We can't do anything about the laws in place for the Social Security Administration 

But there are things we, as eBay sellers, can do to make the best of whatever we do bring in from eBay.  
We need to be aware of eBay's fee structure and we need to work within that structure.

I see you have a pair of women's ankle-high boots listed in the auction format which currently have no bids. 
And you have placed a reserve price on that auction.  
Are you aware that eBay does charge a "reserve price" fee whether the item is sold or not?  
eBay's fee will be the greater of $5.00 or 7.5% of the reserve price, the minimum amount you would accept for selling those boots.  BTW, nobody knows the reserve price that you set, except you and eBay's computer system.

Are you agreeable to letting eBay just take $5.00 or more from you/your checking account if those boots are not sold?  No?
It's OK, then -- you can fix this.   Because there are no bids on those boots, you can end this auction early.  As long as there are no bids, you can end the auction at any time until its ending time, and eBay won't charge you anything for doing so.  

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

If you are talking SSI (Disability) then there is an 'amount' you can earn 'working' (which selling on ebay will show as such) and it's not much- you have to check with SS.

If you are talking Retirement (Social Security) if under Full Retirement Age (under 66/67 for most) but at least 62 receiving SS- then they will take $1 from your SS for every $2 you earn. 

Once at Full Retirement Age (66 or 67 for most), then they take 'nothing'. But, income for 'self employment'- which is money earned after fees, shipping, cost of goods etc. is taxable in 3 ways:

15.3% Self Employment Tax (Social Security/Medicare) and 

%?? (depending on total income) Federal Income Tax

%?? State Income Tax (possible)

So, if you sell $1000 worth of stuff and it cost you $600 in fees, shipping, cost of good etc.) then you 'profit' $400.

A minimum of $60 is owed in Self Employment Tax, along with what could be up to another $100 in Fed/State Tax

So, $1000 turns into $400 that can turn into $240 in your pocket after tax. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

If you are talking Retirement (Social Security) if under Full Retirement Age (under 66/67 for most) but at least 62 receiving SS- then they will take $1 from your SS for every $2 you earn. ...

That $1/$2 kicks in after you reach a specified limit; it doesn't start with the first dollar earned.  The SSA website says:

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2023, that limit is $21,240.

In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2023, this limit on your earnings is $56,520. We only count your earnings up to the month before you reach your full retirement age, not your earnings for the entire year.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/whileworking.html

But I think the OP is on disability of some sort, not regular retirement Social Security.  Those programs have their own thresholds which IIRC can vary by state as well as by program and possibly the recipient's age.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

To qualify for SSI, you must have limited income and few assetsSocial Security requires SSI recipients to have less than $2,000 in assets, for a single person, and $3,000 for a couple (not counting money in an ABLE account ). Having more than this puts your healthcare and check at risk. 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Being on social security disability means you are unable to work a job. You are getting the full amount whether  you are 62 or even younger. You basically get it for life unless...It's very hard to get. A doctor has to state you can't work. Social Security is taxable in some states. Depending how end of year goes how much you can make in pennies and such it might be $600. or $5000. end of this year. If you end up selling a lot and get a 1099 which you have to declare doing taxes end of this year. It could be a red flag as to how you can make money when you are disable to have a job. They are currently or already have done where you are reviewed every few years of receiving social security disability. Quite different from normal social security. Some people get a big social security disability payment every month and some get a little payment...depends how much you earned over the years. I would make sure not to get stuck with a 1099 end of year. You don't want to get knocked off of it because it is so hard to get.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@couturehomecollection wrote:

To qualify for SSI, you must have limited income and few assetsSocial Security requires SSI recipients to have less than $2,000 in assets, for a single person, and $3,000 for a couple (not counting money in an ABLE account ). Having more than this puts your healthcare and check at risk. 

As you stated, that is for SSI. SSDI- which 'disability' as the 'd' stands for; does NOT have any of those restrictions. Since the OP stated' disablity; that would not pertain.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

A roommate i had years ago was disabled and he was allowed to earn $1009 per month but any more than that would mess with his check. He got that in a letter from SSA that came with his first check. Please call SSA and find out your limits.  SSDI after all is supplemental income meant to add to limited income earners. That means you can have a limited income while receiving the benefit check. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@monroe67@lglass59 

Unless things have changed...................  a reserve fee is not refundable. Ending an auction will not result in refunded "reserve" fees.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply