cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Motors repeat seller apparently thinks $6k in repairs = perfect working order

eBay customer service removed my negative feedback about the following and directed me here to post about my experience. Anyway, I recently purchased a truck  and within the auction and videos, repeatedly states that 'everything works' and that it doesn't need anything mechanically, no reason not to fly in and drive it home. I attempted due diligence by having a local friend give it a walk around, listen to it, etc...a basic check on a truck that was advertised as flawless and certainly looked the part as far as the paint etc, it looked amazing. After sending payment and the same friend then taking possession, he took it to a mechanic to change the power steering belt (this was the one issue that was disclosed in honesty by the seller). The mechanic found so many things wrong that he marked it unsafe to be on the road!! Estimated repairs at $6000 and before the seller went dark, I advised them of my discoveries and found out that the whole backstory that'd been told to me about the truck history was a lie. Suffice it to say this seller never impressed me as being an intellectual powerhouse and made it obvious through slip-ups in their responses that they were aware of the mechanical issues.

I'm also incredibly annoyed that eBay granted their request to have my negative feedback about their intent to mislead merely because I didn't pay via eBay. Such a joke because when I went to pay, a message popped up from within eBay advising me to contact the seller directly anytime I clicked "pay now". The worst part of it is that with the negative feedback removal granted, the seller is no longer willing to pay for the repairs. When the negative feedback was in place they became responsive to paying the $6k! Then to add insult to injury, eBay agreed to remove my feedback and thus my only leverage, and in the end I didn't have the option to pay via eBay so the removal request was granted. Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

eBay Motors repeat seller apparently thinks $6k in repairs = perfect working order

Well, uhh...you're supposed to do the inspection before purchase.

Since YOU've never even seen the vehicle in person, you do not really even know what it's true condition is- how on earth is Ebay supposed to know?

Mechanics that 'mark vehicles as unsafe for the road" are usually scammers. Unl;ess the frame is about to break in half or the brakes are failing, there are few conditions that make a vehicle unsafe for the road- and generally only franchise mechanics try to pull that one ("I can't let you leave, because your vehicle is unsafe to drive" LOL)

And depending on who your mechanic is..... i.e. a dealership mechanic will generally find thousands of dollars worth of stuff wrong with any vehicle that isn't brand new; etc (Just for one example)....

I'm not saying what you're saying is not true- but the thing is, no one (not even you, apparently) have any way of knowing....and thus you must inspect the vehicle before purchase...or pay a price which is so low that you can't lose.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

OP sent a local friend to check out the truck,he should have asked him to take it to a shop .
get a second opinion.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

did y ou pay thru Paypal,did you use a credit card?
There is no buyer protetion for truck or car,but if you pay with cc,see what can be done?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I agree with nunabr0. Most likely not as bad as this mechanic is saying.  I'd take the truck to some one else and get a second opinion. Better yet, go look at it yourself if you know what your looking at.

I'm a little confused about the paying part. You didn't pay through eBay? You went to pay and a pop up told you to contact the seller? never heard of this,

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Motors is different,most sellers would not accept Paypal,but would accept a deposit via Paypal.
There is no Paypal protection for vehicles,also how can seller prove delivery with online tracking?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

You are hung-up on feedback, which, eBay management said directly to me: "Feedback is not relevant". Negatives, for buyers, have not been permitted for about ten years, not relevant.

Negatives for sellers, are easily removed, just by asking because feedback is not relevant.

Get a trailer and go and get it.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I keep thinking: The OP's friend went and eye-balled/ear-balled the vehicle first.... Even if the friend doesn't know much about cars, it's very unlikely that a vehicle could truly be in need of $6K worth of repairs and be "unsafe", and that even your grandmother wouldn't have a clue that at least something was amiss.

No way to tell, remotely, who the real scammer is: The seller or the mechanic. Maybe a little of both- but I'd lay money on it being the mechanic.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I with you nunabr0. If your driving a truck that needs six thousand dollars worth of repairs your gonna know it!

A knock in the motor, tranny not shifting right, play in the steering wheel, no or bad brakes something, The only thing left may be a bad frame. Some one is full of it here!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

About three years ago, went to a place I "thought" I trusted. PS hose was leaking, I believed. They tried to sell me a whole rack. Guy wouldn't look me in the eye.

Went to another guy: "Yep, PS hose, part is $60".

Get a second opinion.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Exactly, Mike!

Soon as I heard "$6K" I immediately thought of this time years ago, when a friend asked me to watch his used car lot for a couple of weeks, while he had some bidness to do.

This guy comes in and is interested in this nice SHO Taurus on the lot. Takes it for a good long test drive- The guy knew what he was doing- put it through it's paces; he likes it, but wants to have it inspected by "his mechanic". No problemo. (And we're not talking about an expensive car...it was just a few grand).

The mechanic's appointment comes, and I drive the car to THE LOCAL FORD STEALERSHIP.... Mind you, this was a good car, and I personally could not find one thing mechanically wrong with it- but as soon as I heard "dealership", I said to myself "He ain't gonna be buying this car"- and sure enough...the stealership "technician" found eight million things that weren't quite as perfect as the day the car had come off the assembly line....and said it needed "thousands of dollars worth of repairs"- and of course, the potential buyer nixed the deal, and lost out on a really nice car at a good price.

Funny thing is, a lady comes to that lot one day, looking for a car for her college-student daughter; She eyes this hot red Firebird... I tell her that that car is a complete POS, and at best would only be suitable for someone who knows cars, and who wants to tinker with it. What a job I had of talking her out of buying it! And she didn't even thank me! She seemed more annoyed than grateful! (I tried to interest her in a nice Toyota for the same price...but she didn't care).

I learned a lot in my few weeks minding that lot- mainly that clueless people very often do the opposite of what is propitious; and why honest men will not prosper in the used car bidness!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

When you join ebay playground, you should try to follow the rules of ebay, ebay support team solve the problem through the rules and regulations set out. Wish you solve the problem soon!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Had to go through this intersection yesterday. Checkout the name of the cross street.

2 elmwood.jpg

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Neither Ebay nor PP require proof of delivery with tracking for pick up only items.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 14 of 14
latest reply