cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Motors announces the eBay Guaranteed Fit Program

I cannot wait for this to roll out and the giant mess it is going to create. To start with ebays compatibility chart is far from being even close to being correct!!! Example the chart lists a 1968 Charger R/T  as having a 318 ci v8....SORRY no such car was produced!  and listing base Charger as having a 426 HEMI & 440 v8 neither of which were produced by Chrysler, Charger R/T in 68 had a 440 or Hemi PERIOD! I have worked for Chrysler and the aftermarket and reproduction of Licensed Musclecars parts since 1970 and use this chart everyday and there are 1000's of error in the Chrysler Plymouth and Dodge Area alone....Not to mention buyers are for the most part NOT familiar with vehicles and problems. Not to mention the endless modifications made to vehicles over the span of its life. Working for Chrysler even the dealerships have issues with getting the correct parts and for the past 10years in order to get a new part to fix your new car you must supply  the VIN number which then is entered into the system and produces a printout(on the computer )of the correct parts that that PARTICULAR vehicle was built with....You have running changes during production and will need build dates and on and on and on and this is only for vehicles built within the last 20 some years, get back into the 60's and older there is NO information to rely on as accurate. EBAY you will REGRET this more than any mistakes you have ever added to the platform. You cannot even get the basic things correct like shipping.....Use Ford for example you have to be a very seasoned person behind the dealership parts counter to figure out what is what. Plus you have Fords from the 1900's on up and various models each year, and you are going to tell me you have this infinite knowledge! You DON'T and NEVER will, there are no programs written to cover what you propose you say you going to guarantee fitment...even the salvage yards now require a VIN number to ASSIST in getting the right parts. I will give this less than a year and you will see even the dealerships fleeing ebay over this and ebay motors will no longer have to worry about parts listings and only be in the new and used vehicle business.....

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

additionally you better have a buyer supply written statements, notarized from the vehicle manufacturer(if they even exist(Hudson for example) to verify their claim of non fitment, otherwise you are opening sellers up to a very wide variety of scams., Why? because many simply guess at what a problem may be, buys the part and does not fix the problem, so he declares t does not fit to be able to send back. These people are called parts changers and NOT actual mechanics, which even the best now must actually plug the vehicle into a computer based scanner to find the problem. I dare you ebay to send one of your brainiacs out into the field at a new car dealership's service, body shop and parts dept for just one week, as well as a salvage yard and aftermarket parts store like Autozone and you will realize what a mess you are creating...even Rock Auto is marginal at best. 

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

I thought the seller had to supply the compatibility chart?

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

Unfortunately you're right but ebay decides what is fact or fiction.  They'll just stand by their "false compatibility" as true.  It's always going to be the sellers that suffer from this.

I've been saying for years how inaccurate that compatibility chart is.  There's a lot of vehicles that exist that aren't even on there.  There's missing model years, there's a lot of false misleading data to sort through.  It's nearly impossible to guarantee a fit for a vintage part.  The parts books don't always list the exceptions either, these were known by professionals back in the day.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

Yeah that's part of the problem.  Do you know how long it takes to even try and list that!

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

@movieman630 wrote:

Yeah that's part of the problem.  Do you know how long it takes to even try and list that!

Yes, I have sold some auto parts and like you say it is a real pain, especially if you do not have access to Hollander or similar, even if you did it would still be to much work.

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

Yes. Seller builds comptibility chart. 

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

@quicksilverdiecast „additionally you better have a buyer supply written statements, notarized from the vehicle manufacturer(if they even exist(Hudson for example) to verify their claim of non fitment, otherwise you are opening sellers up to a very wide variety of scams.”

1. Buyer won’t be given hard time

2. I had buyers showing fake papers

3. Some parts are used crossed makes (certain part nr is printed on part but that part still is the same copy of different vehicle part nr- difference part number)- still can be disputed - right?

4. Old parts don’t have part nr stamped

5. Car maybe custom and modified which vin may not reflect

6. Some parts work only when prigrammed  

Buyer should never be discharged from looking at the description, pictures and comparing to their vehicle application. My concern is Ebay making decisions on the cases and they stated that sellers are punished for misusing (like for what?) by demoting visibility. 

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

I just read about the program and I see that eBay is going to pay for the return shipping on any item that don't fit. So it seems like if they're compatibility charts are really messed up they're the ones that are going to suffer the most. Before this was there anything stopping buyers from filing INADS if things didn't fit forcing the seller to pay the return shipping?

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

@sapphire_studio 

@sapphire_studio  Ebay is not looking to pay for any labels. 
this is how it works: 

1. Seller builds the fitment guide (seller picks cars from ebay list that part fits)- using knowledge and experinec and makers guides

2. Buyer picks his car (they don’t need to provide vin)

3. Ebay checks off part

4. Buyer gets what they bought and files doesn’t fit my car case

5. Who is to blame that it doesn’t fit? - Ebay decides in their favor 

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/protections/ebay-guaranteed-fit

Screenshot_20230219_152244_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230219_152402_Samsung Internet.jpg

Also you can opt out of the program:

Screenshot_20230219_152325_Samsung Internet.jpg

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

@sapphire_studio 

Are you selling in Ebay Motors?

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

Nope. 

If those compatibility charts are all messed up I'm not saying the program is going to be good. But it sounds like eBay's going to have to eat a lot of the costs themselves if they're the ones paying for all the return shipping.

Are you thinking eBay is not going to pay the return shipping like they're promising? (When someone selects "Doesnt fit" as the return reason.

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@sapphire_studio 

„Don’t fit cases” are countedd as „not as decribed”? It was discussed here 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-Return-Policy-Seller-Protections-For-Parts-amp-Accessories...

Btw I wish I could collect all badges here so fast. How did you do it?

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

Maybe this new Guarenteed Fit Program was designed because of all the complaints they're getting from Sellers for "doesn't fit" being counted as item not as described. The program is brand new and still being rolled out (so I'm guessing it doesn't apply to that eBay Community article from 8/22). My interpretation of the help article for this new program is that eBay will pay for all the shipping labels to return items back to sellers if the buyers claim it doesn't fit. However it's not clear if the seller will have to fully refund the original Shipping which I could see being a nightmare (especially if ebay has tons ofnm recommendations wrong they send buyers about what part will fit) . I won't begin to try to say I understand anything about Motors.

As far as all the badges I got for posting on this forum. I guess it could only be described as an addiction to being on here. I like learning from these threads and I also like the feeling I get if I can help anyone. So I've just been posting a lot the last few months.

Message 15 of 57
latest reply