cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this? Vintage rear window defroster? Car A/C? Car heater? Other?

The photos show an item that was found when cleaning out the garage. Does anybody know what it is? The cable cord is about 12 feet long with a plug that appears to be like those that fit into a car’s cigarette lighter socket.  It measures 7.5" across the widest edge. 7" front to back measured along one of those sides that go at an angle. There are no labels, no brand names, no product numbers., etc.  It also has no switches or buttons. Guesses are that it is a vintage a/c for older cars, or it is a vintage car heater, or it is a rear window defroster. I have not plugged it in to see if it still works.  Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

IMG_1673.JPGIMG_1674.JPGIMG_1675.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What is this? Vintage rear window defroster? Car A/C? Car heater? Other?

I would have to guess its a rear window defroster. Many cars didn't come with them pre 1980's.

-Chris

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

It's a windshield defogger. I saw one of those catch a car on fire once. A guy I worked with had one. Leaving work on the three to eleven shift in mid winter he went out to warm his car up and plugged it in. It was on his dashboard. He came back in and after a couple of minutes I looked out and told him his car was on fire. He grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran out to the car only to get to the there and have his feet slip out from underneath him on the ice when he tried to stop to open the door knocking himself out when the back of his head hit the sidewalk. There he lay, out cold with his car on fire next to him. We had to go out and put it out for him! You just can't make this stuff up!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

That is quite the story!  What year did that happen MarinersMike?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I'd have to say it was around 1985 or so. I still remember the guys name but won't post it here. He took quite a ribbing over it for a long time. The car survived and so did he. It wasn't funny at the time but it sure was afterwards. LOL

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I have to admit that I laughed out loud over the dashboard fire story.

Picturing that in my  mind just cracked me up.  🙂

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It appears to be a home made car heater by the " chicken wire " . Rear window defroster, old VW Bug style heater, then again it may only have a fan in it, no heating coils whatsoever. I know I would not leave it alone plugged into my car. Might not hurt to plug it in just long enough to see what it does, or connect it to a 12 volt power supply.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

ROFLMLAO !!!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Note, by VW Bug style heater, I do not mean VW specific. Just an accessory heater that would have been helpful in a VW, since the old Bugs had terribly awful heat for cold climates.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply