cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New eBay Motors search sucks.

What if I don't know or care about what specific car or type of car I want to buy. I just want to see what's there. This has never been a problem and I used to buy a few cars a year. Now, I have to click a specific type of car. Coup is not even listed as a category. I just want anything in a price range that maybe needs some work. This now has to be filtered inside each body style category. It takes forever and I'm just not going to do it.

I prefer just putting in a price range and seeing everything. Also, when you could choose from a FULL list of Manufacturers was better because at least you didn't have to filter trash you knew you would never buy and you might see something you hadn't considered lately outside your price range.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: New eBay Motors search sucks.

Try starting here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cars+%26+trucks&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0

You can search an entire category by using the category name as your search keywords.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Since the mid-2000s, no one at eBay Motors cares what you think.  There have been a load of "bright" people come through the ranks at that time and their only contribution was change to the site.  Not change for the better, but change.

This is just the way it is.  20 years later, I'm reading the same complaints.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

100% agree. It's a mess. Just give me a prompt for make, model, year, price range- like eBay used to, and like EVERY other car website works. The whole eBay motors interface is a mess now. Worst case scenario, keep all the new stuff, but also leave the option to just search like you normally would.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Just give me a prompt for make, model, year, price range- like eBay used to

Did you try this vehicle finder?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cars&_sacat=0

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hey eBay.

Do you hear me? Fix your search or give us an option to pick the crappy search you are giving us now with all the garbage mixed in.  Plus an option to search like you had in the old days. A more refined search on the subject matter you are looking for.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@equalizingman 

eBay is not here. This is a user forum.

Did you try searching for a vehicle using the vehicle finder at this link?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cars&_sacat=0

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

EBay should be here to listen to users. I have not searched a car this year. I have listed plenty of eBay motors. Items. I Search sometimes. Less than I use to because the horrible search. Search sucks. Let's face the facts.  This is the truth. 

Your link leads me to a bunch of pixar cars. That is a vehicle search????

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Just saying that someone should do something does not actually make it happen.

When I use that link I see a "Find a car or truck" tool at the top of the page.

eburtonlab_0-1706392016847.png

If you are not searching for a vehicle, what are you having trouble searching for?

If you actually want to find something, what do you want to find? There may be some things you can do right now to make your own searches more effective, rather than waiting for eBay to change the way the site works to suit your expectations about how it should work.

If you just want to vent, that's fine, too.

If you want to have a discussion about how search should work, then feel free to start one.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

If no one ever says anything no will ever know. You have to start somewhere. Most people don't care and give up. I care and believe the search could be better. 

I appreciate your response.  I have parts that I sell and I also own 3 classic cars.  So my searches are general searches and most of the times I get 1,000s if not over 10,000 items in a general search like for1966 Skylark Trim. 

I am not looking for shortcuts or tricks. I am just saying the basic search sucks. Too many non related items come up. I am trying to look through the eyes of a new person on eBay. How do they find their way around. 

I do have my own thread that I did start about how bad the search is.

Thank you,

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

From my perspective, joining eBay in 1998 some 26 years ago, the golden age of eBay was in the 2000s.  Many of us doubled, tripled or even quadrupled our fortunes back then because this was the place to sell.  As the 2000s wore on, people rotated out of eBay as the rules changed and junk began to show up everywhere.

The creation of eBay Motors was controversial but soon thereafter, you saw lots of junk vehicles and people getting ripped off.  Then, it was no longer possible to leave a buyer negative feedback.

Today, no one cares.  I quit selling vehicles here in 2016 and found other avenues that were more profitable before "retiring" a second time.  Nothing that you say on this board will change anything that eBay does.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

.... i left a note on the bulletin board at the Tracer Dye Heritage Center over in Birmingham... I expect all of this bad search nonsense will be wrapped up and straightened out in no time......

👍

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

It’s AMAZINGLY bad.  Worse than worthless because it’s a such a waste of time.  I actually couldn’t believe it when I tried to use it.  It made me realize HOW out of touch executives are of their own platform.  And I’m a person who has actually  bought car on eBay in the past. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@equalizingman is correct.
 Anybody that lists auto parts on eBay knows there's an issue.
When we search, we are searching in a manner that we think our customers search. 
We don't think our customers know all the search tips, tricks, and hacks. 
We tend to think they are normal people that just enter words in the search box, and hopefully....they filter or sort at least once.  
  Got a feedback the other day. My customer was happy and stated that my item was $45 cheaper than any others.   While I'm pretty sure mine was the cheapest (just a guess at this point).  BUT, I can assure you that I was NOT $45 cheaper.  I found several that were $5 higher than mine.
But, that customer never saw those.  And that's NOT good.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply