cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to wait for balance and item pickup?

Hi all,

I sold a dune buggy via auction and had the terms of payment clear in the auction.  $500 deposit via PayPal within 24 hours and the balance due within one week of auction end.  The balance to be paid via cash, money order, or PP friends.

The buyer paid the $500 within the 24 hour period and I messaged them several times over the next 5 days to help arrange pickup and to remind of the balance deadline.  No response until the very last minute where they tried to get me to invoice the item balance in PayPal which I have read is not a good idea.  Then they said they'd mail it and provide a tracking number.  A week later I have neither.  I send a polite but firm list of things I need from them such as proof the payment has been mailed, that they are planning trucking for the item (buyer lives about 1000 miles away), some couteous extensions.

Another week and no payment, no tracking number as promised, hasnt even started to begin getting shipping quotes.  The buyer seems annoyed that I am pushing for some kind of good faith.  They have over 700 good feedback so it's not some newbie.

Here we are 3 weeks after the auction end and I have the deposit and a runaround.  How long am I supposed to wait for this guy to pay?  And then how long am I responsible to store the item while he takes his time arranging shipping pickup?

I feel they should forfeit their deposit and the item be relisted.   Especially since ebay considers the transaction complete once the deposit is paid and the final value fee has been applied to my account.  But I need to know best way to handle the current situation.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: How long to wait for balance and item pickup?

I don't think they can withdraw it once you've transfered it- but they will swipe anything that comes into your PP account after that (If he did a chargeback), thus making your PP account essentially useless....and ironically, they'd eventually send it to collections, and come after you that way for it. I say "ironically", because they won't fight a dishonest chargeback....but yet they'll go after the innocent victim whom they failed to protect!

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Thank you for the info I appreciate it.  I think I want out of this deal.  I'll sit on it a little longer and see what he does.  After that I'll refund the balance and move on.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

So, basically - you're praying for the end of time to hurry up and arrive?

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

I gave it to an even 30 days, it's relisted and he's been refunded minus deposit.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Good!!!!! I'll bet it's a relief!

Message 20 of 20
latest reply