cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford explorer problems ?

I am looking at a 2003 model explorer, seems to run fine, plenty of new parts installed.

Is there any thing I should look out for, it seems to be in good shape, runs good.

( price is real good and the wife likes it,

And I know the guy, seems to be good people, he just needs a full size pickup )

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Ford explorer problems ?

And yeah, electrical contact cleaner is a lifesaver! I always keep a can around the house. I use it more around the house than anything. So many things that are "borken" often just need a shot of that!

Message 61 of 74
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

Wow....sounds like that DC-4 goop would be just the ticket for people with 7.3 Powerstrokes- The ECM connector under the firewall always gets funky and causes all kinds of trouble; like stalling on wet days, etc.

DC-4 is the bomb, it is a clear electrical dialectic ?  

Does not conduct electricity but acts as a barrier to moisture.

Say you are putting a mag onto an engine, you need to be able to rotate the mag for timing .

And when you come back after 100 hours of flight, you need to adjust the mag to engine.

With the DC-4 the mag is not stuck to the gasket, easy peasy, slick and easy.

Good for connectors, and things you need to rotate.. ie mags, distribuitors.

BUT do not use it for spark plug boots, way too much heat and it goes all solid on you.

Now on the aircraft keys... from a different thread... a few days back

There are two types of ignition switches, from two makers.

So there is a limited amount of keys in use, depending on how much the MFG wanted to change.

They lost one of my master keys, so I pulled the tumbler,

and found a key that pulled back most of the tangs but one.

I took a file and smoothed out the tang sticking up.

And just like that I had a fresh new key and lock.

But who needs a key, when you know what wires to spark.

We can fly this pig without a key, couple of feet of wire, and a screw driver... 

Message 62 of 74
latest reply

The electrical problems on my Explorer was the result of 2 bare wires on the main wiring harness where it enters the cabin. (left kick panel on floor in front of driver's side door) Remove the kick panel there and closely examine the bundle of wires. I found 2 bare wires plus other wires that were chaffed from rubbing on the car's body.   There are detailed videos about this and how to fix it on you tube.

Message 63 of 74
latest reply

@toni9529

Glat to hear you found it, I will check mine this weekend, just to be on the safe side.

Spiral wrap is handy, or a piece of clear tubing, slit length wise and then zip tied.

My check engine light is random, one day on, one off.

I had the parts store check, but it was not throwing codes.

Made my first ebay purchase, an owners manual, plan on getting a dealers service manual.

Message 64 of 74
latest reply

Sockmonkey, if you can't fine there, pull off the door panel and look inside the door. Also, look on you tube "2003 Explorer windows don't work"

Message 65 of 74
latest reply

@toni9529

@toni9529 wrote:

Sockmonkey, if you can't fine there, pull off the door panel and look inside the door. Also, look on you tube "2003 Explorer windows don't work"

Thanks, good to know, I found a good deal on a factory service manual, and wiring manual.

I will be looking at them, and any place where I see a wire bundle, I will check.

500 miles in the last two weeks, all seems good.

Other than the random check engine light.

Work is closed next week for air races, so I will be digging into it.

Message 66 of 74
latest reply

Best to get a factory DVD like http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-FORD-CAR-TRUCK-FACTORY-FORD-MOTOR-COMPANY-SERVICE-MANUALS-ON-DVD-/... for the manuals, especially if you own more than one model. Covers all models for one year saving a lot of money over buying paper copies

Message 67 of 74
latest reply

@atikovi

@atikovi wrote:

Best to get a factory DVD like http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-FORD-CAR-TRUCK-FACTORY-FORD-MOTOR-COMPANY-SERVICE-MANUALS-ON-DVD-/... for the manuals, especially if you own more than one model. Covers all models for one year saving a lot of money over buying paper copies

I can't use DVDs or PDF, I need paper copies, I can flip pages faster.

Found a factory copy for 50 bucks, and Auto Zone wants 25 bucks for a Chiltons.

I have found Chiltons to be lacking in detail, and the factory book is just for my year.

I sell a bundle of two books for the two makers of gas fired aircraft heaters.

Now you can download these for free on the internet... in an unreadable PDF format.

Non copyright...

So I make a copy from a real paper copy, take it out to the plane, and put it on your tool chest.

Sell two or three a year, not much money, but when the weather gets cold, you need a heater.

Message 68 of 74
latest reply

You can print out paper copies from the DVD.

Message 69 of 74
latest reply

@atikovi

@atikovi wrote:

You can print out paper copies from the DVD.

"Lexmark, the ink cost more than the printer"

By the time I printed all the pages, and the ream of paper.

50 bucks for a paper factory manual... I am good with that...

Message 70 of 74
latest reply

Why would you need to print out the whole thing? I have a 7 or 8 Ford DVD collection that covers 1992 to 2015 and I might do 5 to 10 separate repairs a year. I don't think I've printed out more than 5-6 pages on each repair, and most often I just go back to the computer to look at the instructions without printing them out.  If you're paying more than a penny a page for ink, you need to buy cheaper ink. 

Message 71 of 74
latest reply

@atikovi

@atikovi wrote:

Why would you need to print out the whole thing? I have a 7 or 8 Ford DVD collection that covers 1992 to 2015 and I might do 5 to 10 separate repairs a year. I don't think I've printed out more than 5-6 pages on each repair, and most often I just go back to the computer to look at the instructions without printing them out.  If you're paying more than a penny a page for ink, you need to buy cheaper ink. 

Because I plan to read the entire thing, not just a few pages, I am goofy like that.

We had a 12 year old boy, who would take one flying lesson a month, smart as a whip.

One day he came down to the shop, and said I am home schooled.

" I will work 3 days a week for free, if you teach me to be an aircraft mechanic"

( we can do that in aviation, apprentice stuff )

So I sat him down at the book shelf, and said read all these maintenance manuals.

After two weeks, if I said John, we are rigging elevators on a Cessna 150.

He knew where to turn in the book, and was familiar with the process.

When he turned 18 he took the exam, and the FAA guy said he had never seen anything like him.

Kid was real sharp, he has been all around the world, has his own business.

I talked to him a few years ago,

He said I knew I was gonna sweep the floors, the first day.

Well I needed time to think, and my girl, she was like Dude it's in chaper 8, brakes.

And we all sweep the floor at the end of the day.

Message 72 of 74
latest reply

Had a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, that at certain speeds, would cause a check engine light as outside air was going across the O2 sensor.

Message 73 of 74
latest reply

@mr.elmwood

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Had a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, that at certain speeds, would cause a check engine light as outside air was going across the O2 sensor.

The guy I got it from said he ran the codes and it was the O2.

After looking at the sensor, I believe him, it's ratty.

My shop will be closed next week, and my service manuals will be here soon.

So I plan to check things out and learn systems.

( that is if my wife doesn't demand to drive it )

Message 74 of 74
latest reply