cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FB marketplace scam?

Car is posted on Facebook

1st email

Hi, the 2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 3.5L engine with only 116,800 KM. The car is in perfect condition with clear title, no accidents, no liens or loans and it has just been completely serviced. The engine runs very well and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly with 6 speed, New tires (front and rear) 2 original Keys.
The price for the car is $2,700 (including delivery and handling to your address).
I'm selling it for only $2,700 because I've just finished the divorce and I'm very glad I took it, this was my ex-husband's most precious thing. He cheated on me although we have 2 kids together. I also just got a new job and moved to another city, and many other things have priority now, so, this car has to go.

Very Important! If you are seriously interested in my car please reply back here. Anyway, I don't wish to bore you with my life's story. I'm having some financial problems that need to be resolved ASAP, so if you have the money available you can have it.

Thank you,

2nd email

Hi again,

As I mentioned in my previous email, I recently divorced my ex husband. I took the kids and moved back with my parents to Port Hardy, BC. Right now they are the only ones I can rely on. I currently work as a military doctor here in Port Hardy, BC. Before leaving, I arranged this business with eBay because I had nothing to transport the car with and it is already at the transport company (chosen by eBay) ready for delivery for someone to agree to buy it. For this reason, shipping is already paid. So my presence is not necessary. Trading through eBay gives you the chance to test drive and inspect the car for 5 days at no charge to the seller. You will receive the car, enjoy a 5 day inspection period and then I will receive payment. You will have free delivery (I received a shipping voucher through them). So if you want to do this business, I need the following details from you: full name, full shipping address, phone number.

Once I receive the details I will send them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They will contact you with all the information you need to complete this offer and also confirm that the transaction is through them and that I am a legitimate seller. I am waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

They then send a picture of  their drivers license as well as a CARFAX vehicle history report, which seems accurate.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

FB marketplace scam?

Known SCAM! -

Notify FB -

eBay has nothing to do with this SCAM

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

FB marketplace scam?

Additional Notes

They also sent a picture of drivers license (which could be fake or possibly real but just trying to reel me in) as well as a carfax report

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

FB marketplace scam?

@fernlach0 

THIS IS A SCAM!!!  DON'T SEND THEM ANYTHING!!!  THEY ARE THIEVES!!!

No doubt you found the original ad on Facebook Marketplace, or Craig's List, or some other site -- anywhere EXCEPT the eBay site.  Think about that:  why would eBay advertise an item on somebody else's site, when eBay has their OWN site already set up?!?

If you see at GREAT deal at Walmart, does a Walmart employee steer you to go to Target for the same deal?

Of course not.

And wouldn't the "seller" make a BIGGER profit by simply taking it to a nearby used car lot -- rather than shipping it across the United States?

C'mon -- pull the other one.

And no doubt they want you to make the purchase with gift cards -- fully untraceable.  All you have to do is give the "seller" the gift card numbers -- and you'll never hear from the "seller" again.

Run away -- it's a scam -- and we hear about one of these scams nearly every day.

Don't take the bait -- there is no car -- there is no divorcee -- there is no military.

Don't fall for this old hoax.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

FB marketplace scam?

Yep, that very low price was to get you to bite.

Take the hook out of your mouth and report the fraudulent ad on FB and forward their email to spoof@ebay.com.

eBay doesn't  handle payments on vehicles and there's never an inspection period. Anything that appears to be from eBay is fake FAKE  FAKE.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

FB marketplace scam?

Offer then $500 more and say that you are paying cash only. See what they say.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

FB marketplace scam?

Insist that you have to come look at the car before you buy it and you will see the Scam fall apart.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply